advertisement

Vinyl Only System

JemHayward

pfm Member
My main system is RPi -> MDAC -> Radford STA25 -> ML Summits, and it works splendidly. One day (maybe) the Radford will be replaced by the Lakewest VFET power amps.
I still, occasionally play LPs, so the main system is complicated by the addition of the TTPSU, the Phono Stage (Naim 5-series boards and Supercap regulators in a DIY box), ADC (Meridian 221), and then I have to use a B Putzeys Balanced volume control, as there isn't enough gain in the LP chain to get decent volumes.
So, it's all a bit complicated...

So, I'm thinking of putting together a vinyl system in the barn where the TV lives, which is a big open space about 9m x 5m, though it is used for TV, exhibitions, guest suite, teenager bedroom (temporary).
The Vinyl system would end up being:
Transcriptors Skeleton, Vestigial Arm, Decca London (various) or Zu ESCO Denon DL103, my Naim based phono stage, or maybe use the Radford SC22 phono stage, SC22 as preamp and STA25 power amp into Quad 57s - basically my dream system from my schooldays. I will continue to use the Quads a the main TV speakers as I do now, with my Linn Sizmik sub, and Meridian M30 active surrounds, my centre is a Fostex single driver (works really well!). Stacked Quads were in the plan, but other half said no 8-(

Has anyone done a complete system split - and if so, do you actually use both (which is my worry).

"Stacked Quads were in the plan, but the other half said no.."

sneak them in after 6 months or so, after you have done several good deeds?

I have a vinyl only system - but I doubt it’s quite what you are thinking of (;)) and it is my only system.

One day (maybe) the Radford will be replaced by the Lakewest VFET power amps.

I would be very surprised if you ever have the opportunity to do that - unless, of course, he sells the design to Project and they build it ;).

I've got a few power amps to keep me going, whilst I wait, possibly forever...

My rationale is that I'm probably not going to buy many more LPs, and my LP playing system is unlikely to be upgraded, so the ability to play records on my main system is complicating things and taking up space. My Quads are lovely things to listen to, and are really wasted as TV speakers, so at least they would have the opportunity to be heard at their best, and I have room in the barn for the TT and the records without compromising that space.

advertisement

Back