advertisement

Vintage Thorens Turntable TD 124/11/ SME 3009 Series II

Just received an offer of £1300 for this. Very tempting.

Sadly I don't know nearly enough about TD124s or SME 3009s for that matter to be confident it would be a wise buy though.

TS

I think the arm would value at £300-400 so around a grand for the turntable. Maybe others may make comment on its value. It looks in nice condition.

It looks nice and assuming it has lived its entire life in that plinth it will have been nicely protected. I’d only consider it if you can collect though, it doesn’t appear to be an audio kit seller so they won’t have the slightest clue how to pack it.

I can’t see anything obviously wrong in the pictures aside from the mains cable seems to have popped up through the plinth on the left side, the headshell isn’t period correct to the pre-Improved 3009 (purely cosmetic, and the bias weight isn’t entirely visible (I suspect it has dropped behind the armboard.

Very hard to value a TD-124 without really inspecting it, though just based on what is visible that one looks better than most. If it has no real issues beyond needing a clean, rewire and re-lube then it is a bargain IMO. I’d laugh in the face of offers more than twice that for mine! That said they do take work and or expense to really get in the zone as they are very elderly machines.

… the headshell isn’t period correct to the pre-Improved 3009 (purely cosmetic, and the bias weight isn’t entirely visible (I suspect it has dropped behind the armboard.
Just checked my headshell and you’re right it’s an “improved” headshell. If you look very closely you can see a trace of the AS weight filament over the counterweight and in one of the photos there is what looks like the small AS weight down the back. Looks like its complete.

advertisement

Back