advertisement

Vintage Tannoy Request.

Colin123

pfm Member
Who can help me? I've never heard Vintage Tannoys.

I've read so much about vintage Tannoy's on pfm but have never had the opportunity to listen to any.
It would be great to put what I read into the context of my own listening experience.

I know it's a big ask but is there anyone out there kind enough to let me have a listen to their Tannoys.

I'm based 'up North' but prepared to travel.
Thanks in advance.

Newcastle Mike.

Though I do frequently travel throughout the north, over to Cumbria, the borders, Yorkshire, even further afield.

I've had a kind offer from a gent in Glasgow to hear his Monitor Gold 15's with RFC external crossovers.
Thank you.

I’m in Lancashire and have completely factory stock 15” Monitor Golds in Lockwood cabs. FWIW I’d be very reluctant indeed to form an opinion on a pair with third-party crossovers. I know some folk really like them, but they change Tannoys into something else IME. Something I personally didn’t like.

I'm near Harrogate with a pair of 12" Tannoy monitors gold's made in 73, if that can be classed as vintage. The cases are DIY about 2.7 cu ft (70/80 ltrs): infinite baffle driven by Naim nap 90.
You would be welcome to drop by and have a listen. The speakers in the avatar are useful for comparison, a very different sound....

I’m in Lancashire and have completely factory stock 15” Monitor Golds in Lockwood cabs. FWIW I’d be very reluctant indeed to form an opinion on a pair with third-party crossovers. I know some folk really like them, but they change Tannoys into something else IME. Something I personally didn’t like.

Is that an offer to have a listen to yours Tony?

I'm near Harrogate with a pair of 12" Tannoy monitors gold's made in 73, if that can be classed as vintage. The cases are DIY about 2.7 cu ft (70/80 ltrs): infinite baffle driven by Naim nap 90.
You would be welcome to drop by and have a listen. The speakers in the avatar are useful for comparison, a very different sound....

I've sent a PM.

Is that an offer to have a listen to yours Tony?

Yes, we could sort something out if you can’t find anything nearer to you. I’d advise trying to listen to as close a model as you can find to whatever you are considering, e.g. if you are thinking of Arden, Chatsworth, DMT 15 or whatever then try and get to hear that particular speaker and cab size, and hear them stock as Tannoy intended. My drivers and crossovers are stock and sound as they should, though the caveat is they are in huge Lockwood studio cabs so sound very different to say Lancasters using exactly the same drivers and crossovers. I guess the other approach is to try and hear as many as you can. There is definitely a Tannoy ‘thing’ that I think comes from a large cone point-source, they all have an ease and coherence, but there are still big differences across the eras. Differences that are significant enough to dictate the equipment upstream, e.g. the early stuff is more valve-appropriate, later more solid state, with the Monitor Gold as the transition point to my mind. Tannoy always tracked the technology of the day, as does any company with a very long-running product line.

Thanks for your detailed reply Tony.

I guess the other approach is to try and hear as many as you can.
This is the approach I'll be taking, as I mentioned in my first post I haven't heard any at all. I'm keen to find out what all the fuss is about, and to experience that Tannoy 'thing'.

What I am really worried about is that I really enjoy them and feel the need to take the plunge.

What I am really worried about is that I really enjoy them and feel the need to take the plunge.

If you like what they do it is incredibly hard to find anything else that does it. For me they have that ease, scale, heft and realism of a proper full-range studio monitor (which is exactly what mine are) but being a point source have the coherence and integration of a small stand-mount. They are one of the few huge speakers that will work in a small room as everything is coming from one place, there isn’t that awful tall baffle thing with the bass on the floor and treble above your head thing that always accompanies big speakers in small rooms. I love other big speakers e.g. blue-face JBLs etc, but despite much use in small rooms from Japanese listeners the distance between drivers would do my head in. It did with Isobariks and they are comparatively tiny things.

advertisement

Back