advertisement

Vintage Tannoy Large Speakers

Samz, I'll address your question in detail later, as I have considerable experience not only of listening to Devons in my own system (those are partly what started me off on my Tannoy journey), but also how vintage Tannoy speakers compare with their modern counterparts, and how, IMO, the bigger vintage Tannoy speakers compare sonically with smaller examples from the same range, and also with examples from the current Prestige range.

Thank you Marco and also for the subsequent link you sent....I shall spend the evening reading through it, very interesting, thanks again.

The HPD 315 is my favourite vintage Tannoy, particularly the later ones with the more open chassis and better plug.

Usually all they need is a re-foam, unless they've been abused or suffered an amp melt-down.

The advantage of the 12 is that you can optimise them with a 150 litre box, which, while not exactly small, is still more easily accommodated than the box needed for the 15's.

You need a much larger speaker cab for the 15". Ideally the old Lockwood Major if you can find one. Most Tannoy onwers usually agonise over the x-o as well which can in some instances cost thousands to rebuild, but thats another story. :p

I've recently converted some 3838's to active copying the passive network's voltage drive/transfer function digitally and by use of a steep lf filter at 30hz and varying the frequency and q of the hf notch it was relatively easy to mimic the Monitor gold sound(We liked it so much we kept it as an option in the digital xover memory....)

One of the xover settings;

9587597338_df0ea70b13_z.jpg

You need a much larger speaker cab for the 15". Ideally the old Lockwood Major if you can find one. Most Tannoy onwers usually agonise over the x-o as well which can in some instances cost thousands to rebuild, but thats another story. :p

Anything between 180- 220 L is ideal, anything bigger and you hit the law of diminishing returns.
The rectangular York either in it's original/optional aperiodic reflex (like the Lockwood Major) or ported to take advantage of T&S figures and tuned very low in an ebs alignment is all you need.

Steven

What is the difference between a Turnberry and a Kensington.

They look very similar to me and yet you lust for a Kensington over a Turnberry.

Is there a difference in price ?

Regards

Mick

Big difference in price. The drive units in the Kensingtons are substantially different - e.g. use of very powerful AlNiCo magnets. The Kensingtons are to my ears quite a bit better, but are they worth the expense???? The Kensingtons take forever to run in. Try talking to Heatherdale Audio (assuming they still exist). If you are ever near Worcester in the West Midlands just PM me and you are welcome to listen to my Kensingtons.

Nic P

[You need a much larger speaker cab for the 15". Ideally the old Lockwood Major if you can find one. Most Tannoy onwers usually agonise over the x-o as well which can in some instances cost thousands to rebuild, but thats another story.

From memory i think 300L is required for the 15's.

I don't know why or how you'd spend that much on the XO, it's pretty simple.

I haven's spent that much money on my x-o, but I know a lot of people who have. You only have to visit the tannoy user group on Yahoo to see what I mean. :p

Anything between 180- 220 L is ideal, anything bigger and you hit the law of diminishing returns.
The rectangular York either in it's original/optional aperiodic reflex (like the Lockwood Major) or ported to take advantage of T&S figures and tuned very low in an ebs alignment is all you need.

I just like the idea of large cabs. Mine came in Lancaster cabs and sounded crap. Plonked them in some Tannoy Majors and they came alive.

Big difference in price. The drive units in the Kensingtons are substantially different - e.g. use of very powerful AlNiCo magnets. The Kensingtons are to my ears quite a bit better, but are they worth the expense???? The Kensingtons take forever to run in. Try talking to Heatherdale Audio (assuming they still exist). If you are ever near Worcester in the West Midlands just PM me and you are welcome to listen to my Kensingtons.

Nic P

Also pepperpot waveguide instead of tulip waveguide tweeters, higher mass and slightly taller although the footprint is slightly smaller.

Of the Tannoys that I've heard, the pair that really did it for me were Buckinghams. Here is the system:

http://therecordcentre.com/?attachment_id=254

They were only briefly in place at The Record Centre in Ottawa, but they had some majesty, an effortless weight and scale without any sense of veiling or fuzz.

I heard those at John's house before he bought the store. Very nice, but he put a lot of effort into getting them up to scratch. He was lucky enough to find probably the only NOS recone kits available in Canada (or maybe anywhere).

I have to admit I liked his E-V Patricians better though. What can you say to a 30-inch woofer?

Nic P

Hi Nic

I think I may well take you up on that.

Regards

Mick

To throw my tuppence in.

I started off with the 3LZ in Monitor GOLD10" and loved them, the only problem was they were designed as Bookself Speakers - BOOKSHELF? Those sheves must have been massive!

Anyway - I upgraded to Monitor Gold12" in ChatsWorth Rectangular cabinets and just loved every minute of them.

This year I thought, well - lets see what the 15" can do, so I upgraded again to Rectangular Yorks and WOW. Its love.
The irony is, I ended up buying back my Chatsworth and put them into storage for my one day second system. I just couldnt bear to part with them.

Tannoy as people have said, is something that just feels right. It might not be detailed by todays standard, but its just a big warm hug of sound.

I drive them from an old Leak Stereo70....but this is soon to be changed to a Leak Stereo20 and I cant wait.

To throw my tuppence in.

I started off with the 3LZ in Monitor GOLD10" and loved them, the only problem was they were designed as Bookself Speakers - BOOKSHELF? Those sheves must have been massive!

FYI Yamaha NS1000Ms are also described in their brochures as bookshelf loudspeakers. They are almost a two person lift. As an aside I love NS1000Ms almost as much as a love vintage Tannoys. I will reiterate that it is worth keeping your eyes open for second hand modern Tannoy Prestige DC speakers. They rarely appear but are not very expensive when they do, and they do the Tannoy thing plus detail and less colouration ... also the bass from a 10 inch Prestige is very much better than a vintage 10 incher.

Nic P

I've only had half an hour with big Tannoys (thanks Jay) but it was enough to try these

DSC_2882 by levs the diver, on Flickr

System 600, the smallest of the commercial DC's, they certainly have a lot going for them. I'm missing the low end my (modded) ES14's give, but the pin sharp imagery of the Tannoys is great too.

I've had a pair of System 1000's for a few years now and really like them. They came from a TV studio and were in mint condition. I use them for my main speakers. i would be happy to use a pair of 600's in my smaller three season porch if I ever got rid of the ATC SCM 7's. I imagine they would work out really well in that room. Enjoy!

Here's a shot I took of them before moving them to the basement.

edit_preview.php

Nice!!! Cant wait.

What pre do you have going into your TL12's?

Just got an Aesthetix Calypso this week. Glorious.

I was using a Rega Cursa 3 up 'till then, which was pretty good. I've had issues with too much gain on most active pres I tried before, and the Cursa addressed that, but I missed what a valve pre had done for my system before the Leak changes (I also ran a Stereo 50 up 'till the TL12+s were sorted). The Aesthetix was a bit of a financial bite, and I was worried about the gain, but it has a linear volume control with 88 steps, so it's working quite well, and I get that valve pre glory I remember.

I've had a pair of System 1000's for a few years now and really like them. They came from a TV studio and were in mint condition. I use them for my main speakers. i would be happy to use a pair of 600's in my smaller three season porch if I ever got rid of the ATC SCM 7's. I imagine they would work out really well in that room. Enjoy!

What kind of stand is that, under the ESL?

advertisement

Back