advertisement

Vintage Sony ES gear

I'll quote my post from the system pics thread :
Arrghh. I've been trying to resist the idea of looking out for a TAF-730ES. I don't need an amp, I've already got one. But I kinda want a 730ES (purely based on a marginal preference in styling over a 770ES). Then again, I have a 770ES tuner so maybe ... Anything to look out for in buying amps of this vintage, or just put a bid in if one turns up on ebay and doesn't look obviously bashed about ?​
So ... where did you find such nice 770ES's ? At one time there were loads of quality ES components on German eBay, but it seems a faff to bid there. Presumably somewhat rarer on UK eBay. Haven't looked in years. By the way the 770ES was sold for more than the 730ES, so is a bit higher spec I guess.

To But in a little.....
I got my second 770ES from the same person Richard did, he happened to have two....

I had one previously which had been round the 'Wam a couple of times. This new one to me is in a lot better contion, basically Mint!
My previous 670ES was off t'wam as well.

I would love to hear the top model: TA-F870ES (TA-F808ES)

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-F808ES.html

Yup - the 870ES looks fairly similar under the hood to the 770ES except for using mosfets in both the driver and power stages. Would love to hear one too, aswell as the 777ES.

I think it's because it runs a fair bit warmer than the 670ES but my 770 does whiff a little bit when up and running - think it might just be dust on the heatsinks. Definitely not an electrical smell though. I'm loving this amp so much though that am giving serious consideration to having it serviced and generally given a thorough once-over by an amplifier tech. Not sure who to take it to though (a plug for anyone who knows anyone please?).

The move from the 670 to the 770 was a little like going from my old Exposure Super XV to the VI/VII/IVDR. With the Sonys it's been their same house sound; that clarity and purity of an amp just not getting in the way. The 770ES has that - and a whole spoonful of extra detail - plus the increase in dynamic headroom is almost astonishing. Should be mentioned that the big'un doesn't really play any louder than the 670 (I don't listen to it louder put it that way) but music breathes with no hint of constriction.

Rob - quick ques re the 770ES, does yours have a small red light on inside the amp, near to the back?

Richard, there are two, one and the back one at the front (quite difficult to see) on the right hand side circuit board (Pre Amp board??) My old 770ES had them as well, no idea what they are for.

Richard, there are two, one and the back one at the front (quite difficult to see) on the right hand side circuit board (Pre Amp board??) My old 770ES had them as well, no idea what they are for.

Thanks Rob, the paranoid devil sat on my shoulder was telling me it's a form of warning light. :D

Was listening to the tv through through the amp last night (TV's digits out to Fiio D3) and there was an occasional misfire on the right channel. Swapped phono leads round from dac to amp to try and get the duff channel to change sides but of course it behaved perfectly then. :rolleyes:

There's a very slight l/h channel bias but no real drama. I'm keen to get the amp checked over though - not that there's anything wrong with it, but I've a feeling I could keep this for a long time, therefore would be great to have it working as-new.

If either of you guys get bored with your 770ES's, I'll be happy to take one off your hands :) Though it seems you're both pretty happy with what you've got. I'm not sure about changing internals, if it works fine, I'd leave it alone (but I'm a keep it strictly-original kind of person).

I don't think an 8xxES was ever sold in the UK. By the way, the 730ES/630ESD/530ES were rated at 110W/90W/90W (630 having a built-in D/A convertor), the 450ESD (with D/A) was 80W, and the 770ES/670ES were 100W/100W.

That S9000ES DVD player looks lovely too (nice pics !). You need to keep an eye out for a BDP-S5000ES :)

If either of you guys get bored with your 770ES's, I'll be happy to take one off your hands :) Though it seems you're both pretty happy with what you've got. I'm not sure about changing internals, if it works fine, I'd leave it alone (but I'm a keep it strictly-original kind of person).

Yup - I'm pretty stoked with what this amp's doing; loads of power, which imbibes music with a real sense of effortless dynamism. The key though is that it seems to do the subtle stuff well too - Chopin Nocturnes (Pollini) and all the lightness of touch one could wish for.

As for changing the amp's internals - I certainly wouldn't want to unless absolutely necessary (ie if something was broken). Wouldn't want to meddle with the good work that Mr Sony has done. :)

A better picture now I've got my decent camera working again...

IMG_7440_2.jpg

Toprepairman (aka Henry) services and repairs these old Sony amps.

He's on here and on the wam.

I bought a TA-Fa3ES for my son about three years, fifty quid it cost me picked up from Alloa, an amazing bargain. Built like a tank.

I've seen these amps go for nearly £400 on e-bay.

Don't know if it's still doing the rounds but a few years ago a guy put an advert on e-bay for one of them, the advert was absolutely outstanding and the amp went for about £400.

I was nearly buying it myself such was the description until I realised I had the same amp.

Amazing what a well worded advert will do though.

Tony

Thanks Tony - I may well get in touch with Henry, would be good to get someone who knows these beasts to give it a once-over. Dare say the bias may have drifted over time etc (not that I know what this does of course). :)

Thanks Tony - I may well get in touch with Henry, would be good to get someone who knows these beasts to give it a once-over. Dare say the bias may have drifted over time etc (not that I know what this does of course). :)

I've his details so if you can't find him on the wam PM me and I'll pass them on.

Don't want to post personal stuff on a public thread.

Tony

PS, he's in the recommended repairer sticky in the DIY section I think.

Thanks Tony - I pm'd Henry last night and he got back to me promptly with details so will phone him some time today. Will probably get him to look at the amp after Scalford as time's a bit tight to get it to him and back, plus any further time added if any parts need to be ordered of course.

Thanks for sharing that Jimbo - some stunning pictures, of some gorgeous kit. :)

I narrowly missed out on a PS-X60 recently. Having had a PS-6750 I'm now well aware of how good some of these Sony turntables can sound.

I managed to get my hands on a TA-F770ES and it is certainly a lovely sounding bit of kit. The chap I bought it from didn't really know how good it was he kept telling how good the Mission 770 speakers were. Give him his due though with the CDP-338esD that I also got from him it does make a great sounding system.

SonyTA-F770ES.jpg

I can see I am going to have to do a bit of system shuffling over the coming weeks but I could live with the system as it is.

I'd love to own the top ES pre power but prices are high, but I do have some Sony V-FETs (Static Induction Transistors) for a couple of projects, I'd still like the amps though!

Dunno about the amps but the ST-S770ES tuner is very nice. I presume it matches the TA-F770ES amp. Bought one in February but so far only given it a very brief test run. Ergonomically it has got to be one of the better tuners out there especially with the nice big rotary tuning knob.

These tuners seem to go for silly money on eBay Germany, but again I suppose this is due the cult following the ES series has with collectors.

anyone compared the sony ta 707es to the 770es?
707 use mosfet drivers
770 BJT

which is the best between 707 and 770?
''
To the best of my knowledge...The 770ES/870ES/707ES/808ES all use exactly the same circuit boards however they all have subtle differences...

770ES: BJT Drivers/MosFet outputs, "standard" grade capacitors, plastic insulated binding posts & steel top panel.

870ES: BJT Drivers/MosFet outputs, "audiophile" grade capacitors, 25% larger [than 770ES] PSU capacitors, gold plated binding posts, Gibraltar top panel, larger heatsink & slightly higher bias.

707ES: Mosfet Drivers & outputs, "audiophile" grade capacitors, 25% larger [than 770ES] PSU capacitors, plastic insulated binding posts & steel top panel.

808ES: MosFet Drivers & outputs, "audiophile" grade capacitors, 25% larger [than 770ES] PSU capacitors, gold plated binding posts, Gibraltar top panel, larger heatsink & slightly higher bias.

So in answer to your question, yes the 808ES is definitely of better quality than the others... Is it worth the extra ? Not to me but to you it may be
''

advertisement

Back