advertisement

Vintage audio pricing

I've heard plenty of modern speakers but nothing I'd want to swap my IMFs for except maybe a pair of Art Deco 20s. Even second hand these are well out of my price range but never mind, whenever I listen to my IMFs they never fail to impress. I don't think prices for big IMFs have changed much over the last few years unlike Tannoys which have quite a following.

We don’t hear much about IMFs on this Forum, but no doubt they have their fans.
I last heard a ( very large ) pair in a small University house in Oxford, back in the late
Seventies.
I won’t forget that bass...

I’ve only heard a couple of pairs of IMFs, TLS80s in both cases IIRC, and I really liked them both times. Very good speakers IMHO.

Except for the Super Compact... Which cost me £86 in the early 70's.
The Compact II was little better or even worse depending on expectation.
The little Wharfedale Diamond (first model) wiped the floor with them... in the early 80s and cost less than £60 in 'discount' stores.

Except for the Super Compact... Which cost me £86 in the early 70's.
The Compact II was little better or even worse depending on expectation.
The little Wharfedale Diamond (first model) wiped the floor with them... in the early 80s and cost less than £60 in 'discount' stores.

Ah, those original Diamonds. I had a pair in my University lab. for many years. They never failed to surprise me with all types of music.

Very nostalgic. My first system came from D T Wicks in Colchester around the time of the advert. Hi Fi shops were more mainstream then and there was also a branch of Laskys in the town centre. Wicks prices were notably cheaper than elsewhere so those discounted prices will be very competitive. It must have been a successful business - I still remember seeing Mr Wicks's Rolls Royce parked outside complete with personal registration plate

We don’t hear much about IMFs on this Forum, but no doubt they have their fans.
I last heard a ( very large ) pair in a small University house in Oxford, back in the late
Seventies.
I won’t forget that bass...

They have to be off the floor to sound right otherwise the bass just swamps everything. I had Pro Monitor IIIs before I bought the TLS80s and they just sat on castors. Bass was everywhere and out of control but the 80s are just fine. Bass is fast and powerful but there's no overhang or anything. I put that down to the purpose built stands which keeps the speakers off the floor and also tips them back slightly. I actually took the 80s off the stands and used them like that for a good while and the bass was overblown and a bit unruly plus the midrange was all to cock so I think that proved the point. When I sold the Pro Monitors to a friend I ended up making him some stands from thick wall box section steel. They might be the only pair sitting on TLS80 look alike stands but they sound all the better for it.

Looked every where for the IMF receipts, but can only find this.

nfsf2s.jpg

Good old IMF... Am I correct they were originally made in High Wycombe? Later in Reading? I had a pair of Compacts briefly, which wanted re-foaming. Sold them on and the new owner got the drivers repaired at Wembley Loudspeakers.

Ah, the good times! Loved the 1968 Telesonic ad in the first post - my first Hi-Fi was purchased in August/September 1968:

Sansui 250 Tuner/Amplifier - £86 2 0
Garrard SP25 mkII - £15 6 4
Shure M3D-M - £8 7 6
Wharfdale Super Linton - £20 12 0 x2
Got a plinth for the turntable, and a 10% cash discount off the total at the local Hi-Fi store in Sunderland.

Not sure my present day megabuck system is any more enjoyable (other than the lack of rumble from the SP25).

Good times!

advertisement

Back