advertisement

Vintage Accuphase pre/power

The fact that he won’t take PayPal would put me off buying - imagine a problem shows up when you get it home.

ebay.de very often has 'time-warp' classic Japanese kit for sale at good prices. Tis very popular over there IIRC.

But now costs VAT, duty and fees to import into the UK. So add something like 25-30% to the price unless from a UK-VAT-registered dealer, if the seller will ship to the UK at all.

This seller has been on the Bay for 16 years and has 100% positive feedback. From their pseudonym etc., you'd think that they were trade, but mybe only online/the Bay?

The fact that he won’t take PayPal would put me off buying - imagine a problem shows up when you get it home.

On the other hand not sure I would accept Paypal if I was the seller - if the buyer makes an iffy claim against you there's a good chance Paypal will simply refund.

^^^^^ agree totally!!! Have been stung twice recently by their Auto-produced decisions, both cost me £££s.^^^^

Well be that as it may, I wouldn’t pay without PayPal protection for old second hand electrical items. These things can go pear shaped after an hour! They can have all sorts of imaginative modifications inside! Without PayPal I’m not sure there’s much you can do. Sue? It’ll take for ever, and probably require a costly expert opinion, not to mention the court fees, and in the end it may be hard to get your money back even if the courts find in your favour.

That's fair enough. At the end of the day that's why a dealer will charge a bit more - if it catches fire you can pop back with your receipt.

It's probably sensible with any kit of this age to factor in the cost of a decent service anyhow. Even if it hasn't been tinkered with components may well be on borrowed time.

Nice looking things! If I was feeling a bit more flush I'd be tempted..

Well be that as it may, I wouldn’t pay without PayPal protection for old second hand electrical items. These things can go pear shaped after an hour! They can have all sorts of imaginative modifications inside! Without PayPal I’m not sure there’s much you can do. Sue? It’ll take for ever, and probably require a costly expert opinion, not to mention the court fees, and in the end it may be hard to get your money back even if the courts find in your favour.
That's right with eBay is the seller accepts PayPal they risk getting scammed, if the buyer pays cash they risk getting a dud item with no recourse.

Not sure what the way out to be fair on both parties is? Seller gives his word he'll refund if it goes wrong within a week maybe?

advertisement

Back