advertisement

Views on the Celestion 15's (dittons?)

Back to Dittons, I bought a pair of Ditton 10s and repaired them.
I was surprised how good they sounded compared with my Harbeth P3s.
They were sold to a happy buyer in Taiwan.

He said they were wonderful.
Told me old English speakers are really liked in his country.

Ditton 15's... I've heard them sound surprisingly good and also bloody awful and in just the ways described by others up thread....
Back when I was about 15-16 and dinosaurs roamed the earth a good mate had a set with a JVC JAS11G amp and Technics belt drive TT with EPC-270C cart and they turned in what seemed to me a good performance.

Just a few months back I was doing the sound at a gig in a huge barn and a guy there had set up a system for music after the gig which was a Sony "all in one" "mini system" with an immaculate pair of 15XR's... now bearing in mind the aircraft hanger like size of this barn I thought this would be completely useless but in fact it turned in an amazing performance! I was actually given first refusal on them a few months later at a funeral but I turned them down... They were in such good nick that they would have been worth more as 1970's objet d'art than I would have been willing to pay for them as a mediocre hi fi speaker...

I do have a set actually but they have been painted matt black at some point in their life and the tweeters are missing....
I also have a set of Celestion Hadleigh that I used in the workshop some time ago and a set of Celestion UL6's, which I really rate!

Well, not blue LEDs anyhow.

Re UL6s, many years ago Celestion exhibited half a dozen or more, one on top of the other, as a line source. Sadly I can’t remember how they sounded.

Fashion is non existent to me.... if something looks good it stays looking good and does not cease to because "someone somewhere" decrees it no longer looks good.... FWIW I always found blue LED's naff and never used them myself. I do however really like a blue lit display on a receiver:)

Interesting use for UL6's there! I recall mine sounding very good... as in good enough to rival modern £1000 bookshelf speakers... I re-capped them with film capacitors and converted them to bi-wire operation many years ago and a mate bought them off me in this form but I later got them back in a swap for something long forgotten... not before my mate had decided to paint them black unfortunately! He made a good job of it but they were much better looking in the original very nice veneer.

advertisement

Back