advertisement

video files stuttering

Neil P

pfm Member
I'm watching ripped DVDs/BluRays on a Microsoft Surface Pro (the files are on an SD card in its SD slot, and on the internal hard drive). The video seems to pause every few seconds then catch up with the audio again. Any idea what might cause this? I'm using VLC player, and the files are MKV format.

As a first step I would run the resource monitor whilst the video is playing and check that the CPU or RAM isn’t getting maxed out.

Cheers i will do that. I did a quick google and it might be also a problem with vlc/mkv combination - a tweak of settings might be needed. The issue seems to disappear when using windows player (Films & TV I think it is called).

As a first step I would run the resource monitor whilst the video is playing and check that the CPU or RAM isn’t getting maxed out.

Could it be the GPU maxing out? I have a session of Zwift on pause (trying to complete a massive route over several days!). GPU touching 100% at times.

Could it be the GPU maxing out? I have a session of Zwift on pause (trying to complete a massive route over several days!). GPU touching 100% at times.

I don’t think so (admittedly I’m not too sure about GPU’s). A quick google indicates that it probably isn’t a problem and may even indicate that nothing else in your system is limiting its operation, which could mean the CPU and RAM isn’t the problem.

“A 100% GPU load tells you that there’s nothing in your PC that would incur a bottleneck on your graphics card, and that’s really all there is to it. At least, at face value. “

https://decortweaks.com/is-100-gpu-usage-bad/

I don’t think so (admittedly I’m not too sure about GPU’s). A quick google indicates that it probably isn’t a problem and may even indicate that nothing else in your system is limiting its operation, which could mean the CPU and RAM isn’t the problem.

“A 100% GPU load tells you that there’s nothing in your PC that would incur a bottleneck on your graphics card, and that’s really all there is to it. At least, at face value. “

https://decortweaks.com/is-100-gpu-usage-bad/

Well, I never! I think it is the zwift in the backround adding to the issue. once I've finished the route I'll try again to see if the issue resolved.

MKV is a container not a format, it is possible that the format used is heavily processor / gpu dependent. HEVC will not play on many players because of this. It could also be too slow at getting the data off your SD Card. How big is the file? If you run mediainfo over it what is the bit rate?

advertisement

Back