advertisement

Video doorbells?

We had some shifty characters snooping round the stairwells in our block this week and one of our neighbours was able to capture them on their video doorbell which I thought was pretty cool.

I hadn't really considered one before but now I'm kind of curious. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Not interested in anything that needs to be hooked up to Alexa or anything. Would prefer to avoid a subscription but I don't know if that's really possible. Our existing doorbell is the original 1950s battery powered job that was put in when the flat's were built(!) so would need to be another battery job not wired in.

TIA

Eufy E340 - reliable (with their hub), often on-sale, wireless, no subscription, comes with a door bell, decent design, clear recordings. Downsides - claimed battery life is optimistic and Xi is your new neighbour.

We've had a Blink (Amazon) for a couple of years, very happy with it. Phone app is easy to use. No subscription necessary. We just use the doorbell as a standalone device rather than part of an ecosystem. It will link to Alexa but we haven't bothered to.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Don’t have a doorbell, but we do have a couple of Eufy cameras in the garden (for wildlife monitoring - mostly hedgehog, but with the occasional fox, kitty, and even a badger!). The Eufy system seems to work pretty well. No subs.

Daughter#2 in London Town has a Eufy system as well. It caught a couple of perps using her garden as an escape route! The “Met” were most interested!

I use the eufy S210, works well and no subscription.

Eufy have been caught with their pants down uploading cusotmer data in the clear when claiming to not upload at all. I would avoid like the plague.

I live in a block of flats with video doorbells. The only snag is that the system deliberately doesn't work if the visitor presses 2 bells at once. Since the flats are numbered 26, 26A, 27, 27A etc visitors commonly ring a couple of bells and you can't let them in because the system doesn't work and there isn't even a picture.

So we put notices up saying don't ring more than one bell. But people still do..........

No video doorbell, but three Arlo cameras over the entry doors and driveway. Motion detection, night vision, motion alerts to PC, email, phone app, wireless cameras, battery life over a year with the right batteries.....

No video doorbell, but three Arlo cameras over the entry doors and driveway. Motion detection, night vision, motion alerts to PC, email, phone app, wireless cameras, battery life over a year with the right batteries.....
Do you have a link? And does it know the difference between a human and a cat?

Ring doorbells are hugely popular , they are brilliant when that courier company says they delivered a parcel and didnt

they pick up conversation , i once got a bollocking when the residents picked up me moaning about the lack of garden maintenance

I notice they `ping` when people walk by which can be a pain if you live near a footpath

Ring doorbells are hugely popular , they are brilliant when that courier company says they delivered a parcel and didnt

they pick up conversation , i once got a bollocking when the residents picked up me moaning about the lack of garden maintenance

I notice they `ping` when people walk by which can be a pain if you live near a footpath
That's interesting. You have to pass our front door to get to the other flats in the block...

yes i notice it in peoples houses , picks up at least 20 foot away which can be very distracting .

I personally just have cctv wired up to a dvd recorder which does not ping and no subscriptions . very cost effective

advertisement

Back