advertisement

Versions of Brothers in Arms

ex brickie

Speakers matter
Hi folks

I'm looking to buy a new copy of this album and quite fancy a 2 x 45rpm version. However on line I see pressings on Mercury or Universal labels.

Does anyone know which version(s) have the best sound quality?

Cheers

I'd look for an original pressing, there should be plenty out there in good condition.

I'd look for an original pressing, there should be plenty out there in good condition.

I agree with John. I've stopped buying Hi Fi (for the moment?) and started buying first presses. Cheapest way to improved SQ?. Tons of first pressings on ebay, mint condition for around a fiver, much the same on discogs.

I'm with you, ks.234, I'm disappointed with the variable quality of some recent reissues, and have bought some original pressings, usually they have better sound quality. Much cheaper, too. I think that the thickness of the vinyl is irrelevant, it's the quality of the grooves which matter.

I have an original.... I had thought that improved pressing techniques, mastering, quality of vinyl etc would have given something even better by now...

i was listening to my copy (original) and for the first time noticed there was a bass line on money for nothing.

Has anyone here managed to rip this 5.1 DVD-A version to 24bit and any thoughts? Its quite hard to find online as a purchase HD file and the DVD-A is about £50+ if you find one.

Not sure this is available as a download?

I have an RL/John Dent mastered copy, as well as a Back to Black double disc issue, mastered from the otigina l analogue and digital masters by Bernie Grundman and Bob Ludwig. The earlier version is brighter, whereas the B2B issue has lower surface noise, but doesn't have the same dynamic sound. If your disc doesn't appeal, try a best quality copy from Discogs, or splash out on the B2B issue, presumably cheaper than MoFi.

advertisement

Back