advertisement

Velvet Underground - Live at the Gymnasium, NYC

jimb0

Jelly Roll Soul
A new bootleg has surfaced recently of the VU playing in NYC soon after the release of 'The Velvet Underground and Nico'. The boot contains what is supposed to be an unheard VU song 'I'm not a young man Anymore'.
See here for more info.

J

Good version of Sister Ray. There's some crappy VU bootlegs around, but this is a good one.

-- Ian

Cheers for this. Make up for the run of slightly uninspiring records I've picked up this week. There's better sound on this than many "archive recordings" I've got.

Little moments like this give me hope this forum might be worth looking into from time to time. Not like the disgrace that is currently overrrunning the hi fi room. It's like the Daily Mail with a coke habit over there.

Kevin

Played this numerous times yesterday, it's an excellent bootleg. I think that was the first public performance of Sister Ray.

Rich: I utterly agree this is what mp3 is for!!

Indeed - am shoving it on the mp3 player for this week's London trip.

Cheers

Rich

Thanks for that - nice.

I shall put it on the iRiver for the trip to Cardiff, isn't it?

DS

Super extra VU bonus:

John Cale was the guest on this September 16, 1963 episode of I've Got a Secret. His secret centered around his participation in an 18 hour piano playing marathon that was the first full length performance of Erik Satie's "Vexations". (Not mentioned, John Cage was also one of the pianists.)

Here

Yeah I listened to it on the train coming home from London last night - power lines were down at Peterborough, huge delays and cancellations out of Kings X. Took forever. The Velvets were actually the perfect soundtrack to all this annoyance. Just hope I didn't sing "sucking on his ding dong" out loud - too much.

Cheers

Rich

This one Paul?

Anyone else recommend any particular VU bootlegs?

J

Thats the fella its a mental performance...info says Lou rather than Sterlings guitar amp...thanks Jimbo!

Any other VU Bootleg sources...I got a few and even more John Cale ones...I went through a phase of buying hoards of bootleg stuff on tape in the 80's

keep thinking about getting them off tape and into a digital format

How are people going about that?

Tape out to Stereo soundcard and use audacity to record?

Paul

advertisement

Back