advertisement

Velvet Underground advice

It would cost me quite a bit more (risky if I don’t like them!) but what about the Peel Back and See box set?

If this is a good idea, guide me through the maze…. There seem to be different versions on Discogs. Some listings show tracks by years. Others say it is 5 original albums in a box set?

Also what is the alternate mixes set all about? Have they negatively messed with the original versions?

The influence of Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground on the American and particularly British 80s/90s indie guitar music I grew up with cannot be overstated, you hear echoes of it everywhere. Really in terms of guitar textures/sound/chord progressions. And I think the third album is underrated compared to the first two and also had so much influence, here's a pitchfork review making this very point (last paragraph). Anyway it's wonderful! Sorry can't answer question about Peel Slowly and See.

If this is a good idea, guide me through the maze…. There seem to be different versions on Discogs. Some listings show tracks by years. Others say it is 5 original albums in a box set?

Both descriptions are valid. It is the original albums in sequence, but that sequence of tracks are bookended on the specific CD with other content. As an example if you look at the track listing here (Discogs) the debut album, VU & Nico, starts disc 2 track 2 and ends disc 2 track 12. All the original albums are presented in this way in order to pack a lot more material into the box. There is a lot in there!

I have an early third s/t CD which is the Valentin mix all the way through (check the CD matrix)...

...my Peel Slowly and See Box gives me the Closet mix.

With the s/t third "Velvet Underground" album you have to be careful about you are listening to.

A lot of CDs have Valentin mix for one side and Closet mix for the other side (be careful what you have).

advertisement

Back