advertisement

Velvet Underground advice

ex brickie

pfm Member
I’m almost too ashamed to admit this but I know, and have heard, virtually nothing by Velvet Underground. Yet I own a best of Lou Reed CD (!)

My interest has been captured from hearing a track on the radio - Who Loves the Sun. That track doesn’t appear on many of the huge selection of VU albums. On the basis of liking this track, where should a newbie start to dip their toe into the VU pond? Preferably in another too expensive way. I don’t stream - I’d probably start with a modestly priced CD if that’s possible

We all have to start somewhere 😆

Shall I get my coat? 😀.

For me, the earlier VU albums (including the live ones) really are the ones to focus on. I am not convinced about Loaded; it sounds quite different from the earlier albums perhaps more mainstream.

Velvet Underground 'Gold', an official Universal comp 2005 is a good place to dip your feet. Sounds pretty ok too. Plenty of used VV CDs around at low prices.

If you liked ‘Who Loves The Sun’, try the album it came off, ‘Loaded’, which is their last one, and work back from there to ‘The Velvet Underground’, ‘The Velvet Underground with Nico’ and ‘White Light, White Heat’ in that order, which is prettiest to ugliest.

If you want more after that, Live 1969, The Matrix Tapes and ‘The Lost MGM Album’ are all unimpeachable, too, and from the prettier end of their spectrum.

‘What Goes On’ on Live 1969 is a strong contender for the best 8 minutes of rock music ever.

Thanks folks

Not sure I’d like the dark stuff - Who Loves the Sun was pretty mellow and more up my street. If ‘Loaded’ is more like that I could try it. There seem to be all sorts of ‘best of’ albums but they must be earlier than when Who Loves the Sun came out because that track doesn’t feature

if it gives you any clues about my tastes, I tried Nick Cave a few years back because so many raved about him. Way too dark and depressing for me…..

VU is very good and approachable. Live 1969 a two record set is also essential, great live recordings that capture the band at their best

Yeah VU and Another View both excellent extras to the 4 studio albums and Live 1969.

It’s a bit of a mixed bag & don’t expect anything approaching ‘hi-fi’. As above I’d start with loaded & work back.

Given you have the Lou Reed Best Of...

...I'd start with "Loaded" (it sounds more like a Lou Reed album than any of the other VU albums).

Then try the 1969 self-titled "Velvet Underground" album.

If you are still liking what you hear try the 80s compilation CD "VU" (lots of great tracks not on the Velvets albums).

Next try the debut "Velvet Underground & Nico"...

...finally (gird your loins) and stick on "White Light, White Heat"!

Never seen the point in trying allegedly gentle introductions. It’s patronising nonsense. “If you like a specific VU song then this has to be your way in.” Really?

The first three albums are all different and all brilliant. The only other album which comes near is VU. If you like any of those four you will almost certainly enjoy and need to own Loaded but it’s not the VU and it’s not a great album by any standards. It’s an okay album with several great songs in poor arrangements.

Never seen the point in trying allegedly gentle introductions. It’s patronising nonsense. “If you like a specific VU song then this has to be your way in.” Really?
I trust you are not suggesting that Sister Ray is a gentle introduction :)

That song was in fact my way into VU.

By today’s standards Sister Ray is pretty tame really. It’s not going to stop anyone in their tracks either way until contextualised.

I wish someone could explain why music, of all things, might require a “gentle introduction”. I mean, why? If you’re into metal dud you start out with acoustic power ballads? FFS.

I’m almost too ashamed to admit this but I know, and have heard, virtually nothing by Velvet Underground. Yet I own a best of Lou Reed CD (!)

The Velvet Underground is pretty easy really:

The first album is one of the most important albums ever made, so you need that.

The second album is one of the most important albums ever made, so you need that.

The third album is one of the most important albums ever made, so you need that.

That done you may as well get the rest. Sadly the ’Peel Slowly And See’ CD box (Amazon) is long out of print, as that would be my recommendation. It chucks pretty much everything of the Verve era across its four CDs. FWIW I just have this and Live 69 on vinyl as I’ve never been able to afford the US original vinyl I’d really want!

PS I did have this box set (Discogs) back in the ‘80s, but some arseholes broke in and stole it. That was the only record they took (along with some hi-fi, a very nice clock and some other stuff).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You need "Live 1969" as well, just for this which betters the album version IMHO.

I would like to have heard it with John Cale on the keys...

I do think some of their music falls into the ‘important, but a bit a racket’ category. Some of it is just unlistenable, I find I rarely play them.

advertisement

Back