advertisement

Van Morrison on BBC4 tonight

Ian Sampson

pfm Member
Hi

Two programmes tonight starting with BBC4 Sessions at 10.00pm, followed by Later..with Jools Holland at 11.00pm.

Bestwishes

Ian

Thank you for the warning Ian. I saw him in concert in London recently and he was brilliant although he didn't talk to the audience much.

I hope he is back 'on' last time I saw him it was like watching a washed out Cruise Ship act. Brown Eyed Girl my arse.

Well at least you have the choice. Freeview wont reach us until 2012 ....... this I would love to see the write up in the Radio Times is upbeat and implies he is in a kind .....nearly nostalgic mode ..shock horror.

No we cant get satellite either in them thar hills

I hope he is back 'on' last time I saw him it was like watching a washed out Cruise Ship act. Brown Eyed Girl my arse.

Well, he was in tune, in time, and backed by a technically flawless band, all of whom knew precisely how many bars each song was going to last and precisely how many seconds was allowed between songs for The God perfunctorily to acknowledged the audience. I would respectfully suggest that it was at once blandly perfect and perfectly bland.

Perhaps it's the venue. We saw a recording of a Cat Stevens (or whatever he's now called) gig made in the same place, and it was just as dire. Sort of like watching the worst type of CD.

Jools Holland was a welcome change. From all involved, some life, edge, danger, even sweat. Not that I'd buy any of it TBH (although from what I saw Brandy Carlisle (or however it's spelt) can certainly hold a tune), but what a difference.

Yea the last time I saw him was as you described, perfectly in time and awfully bland. MOre over the first act a terribly boring young girl lasted longer than he did. He was on for 45 minutes.

It's a shame they're not showing the Old Grey Whistle test film of the Rainbow concert in 1974 that also made up part of the "It's Too Late To Stop Now" record. He was very good back then.

Kevin

Well I saw him a couple of months ago at the Hammersmith Apollo and he and his band were brilliant. He was on for about 2 hours and performed great songs brilliantly. He did not speak to the audience much (about 6 words in total!) but he did let his music do the talking.

Well I saw him a couple of months ago at the Hammersmith Apollo and he and his band were brilliant. He was on for about 2 hours and performed great songs brilliantly. He did not speak to the audience much (about 6 words in total!) but he did let his music do the talking.

Guys, don't take it personally. any time I've seen him in Belfast (his home town), he has hardly said 6 words to the audience the whole night. When he's on form, what does it matter? I'd rather see him do a blinding set, and not speak word one, than some other slick act come on and give it the old insincere, showbizzy glad hand.
Gary

The Jools sessions were marginally better than the soporific soul pensioner act that preceded it. Much prefer the sweat nylon-suited brilliance of his performance in 'The Last Waltz', or any footage of Them for that matter.

I saw Van Morrison play various gigs in '70s, including at the Rainbow in 1974. He and his band were amazing. Nonetheless I remain convinced he was probably better in the '60s when I was too young to go to gigs.

He's a bit of a genius really for a grumpy old Irishman.

Jack

He has produced some of the finest music available to humanity - it's just hard to reconcile the later by-the-numbers crud with 'Astral Weeks', 'Veedon Fleece', the entire output of Them etc.

advertisement

Back