advertisement

valves for EAR834p

Yes, in the sense that it won't blow up. It's been a while since I obsessed over tube-rollng with the 834p but as I remember there were recommendations for 5751 in the rear tube position. Some thought it a better sounding tube than the ax7 but with lower gain. I don't recall anyone suggesting it for the front position. Presumably at least one of the positions is involved in the RIAA correction circuit so departing from the recommended ax7 might affect the frequency response. In the end I figured why second guess the designer, Tim deP, and returned to ax7s in all positions. Ended up using all EIs which were/are priced sanely.

Fine in the gain position (rear) if you want to lose a few db. Not in the middle RIAA EQ (middle position) as you'll alter the sound rather a lot (won't hurt it though). For the back cathode follower I'd try a nice ECC82 or ECC81 and see what you think. I greatly preferred it. I ended up with a GE 5751 in the gain position, a really lovely vintage Tesla Telefunken E83CC clone in the middle position and a black-plate RCA 5814A in the final position. I tried a lot of very good tubes and that combo beat everything with my Ortofon 2M Black upfront.

PS There is about a month's worth of reading on the 834P over on AudioAsylum. A lot of folk there like and really understand this phono stage.

I use 5751s in all three positions and can hear no difference from the stock ECC 83s it came with, either in terms of tone or gain.

I too have tried rolling a few times, but have chosen to just buy what Tim stocks - and do feel they work as well if not better than any of the valves I have tried.

M

advertisement

Back