advertisement

Valve Phono Stage advice

Linnovice

pfm Member
Hi all. I'm gradually driving myself paranoid and getting confused in the bargain.
I have a standard Technics SL1200 MII TT with an Ortofon M2 Bronze Cartridge into a Technics SU C2000 pre. It sounds good but, as always, curiosity creeps in. I am developing a yearning to try a valve phono stage just to learn what the fuss is all about. So, can anyone recommend a starter for ten? I don't want to pay mega bucks but I realise you only get what you pay for. There seems to be a lot of choices, hence the confusion.

i'm in the same boat -- thanks for starting this thread!

i've heard good things about the Tron Convergence. currently in the mulling phase on that one...

I have a Jolida JD9 that is very flexible on load settings and gain. I think they pop up used frequently for less than $500 here in the US. I think I'd have to spend considerably more to beat it. Could be a good way to test out a tube stage.

I had great fun with a Bellari VP129 years ago. The updated version, the VP130 is very good value for money too. The headphone amp is surprisingly good too.

Personally, I would not spend a lot of money on a phono stage for a standard, traditional version of the Technics (the new models are a completely different kettle of fish).

If you want to improve on the sonic performance of the the Technics, upgrading to something like a Michell Tecnodec + Rega RB303/RB330/Tecnoarm or the new, much improved version of the Technics makes much better sense.

This is only my opinion of course but it is based on many thousands of hours listening experience with the old style/classic Technics.

Just for the record and I'm not being controversial. I'm very happy with the Technics. I've found it to be an extremely good turntable. Much maligned by its preference by DJ's. I would have to be extremely impressed by an alternative to change. My previous setup was an LP12/OL1/Lingo combination, no mean slouch in itself.
I'm just looking for an alternative to the solid state sound, as good as it is.
Ps. I'm 69 and my first LP was RocknRoll No1 x Elvis Presley. I too have played a lot of vinyl and if you can remember that title, so have you :).

For the vast majority of non-fussy/non-audiophile type listeners the Technics is fine. It is a solid, durable, reliable, fuss free, easy to use and set up turntable. Its sonic performance, however, is at best average and this is regardless of cartridge used. A high-end cart is completely wasted on this turntable in its unmodified form imho. Replacing the arm and fitting a Funk Achromatt does improve things somewhat. However, I would not go any further than this with modifications (you would be better off buying the new, cheaper version @ £1300).

Have a look at what The Vinyl Anachronist has to say about the deck on his online blog. I concur with his opinion 100%. Like I say, this is based on many thousands of hours of listening to the Technics with various carts etc. Many people are happy with the Technics and this is great. It is not a bad turntable, just very average in terms of sonic performance. If high-fidelity performance is your goal, you can do so much better elsewhere imo:

http://www.furious.com/perfect/vinyl58.html

I'm not sure what a valve phono would give you unless you are looking for that typical warm sound.

Valve stages tend to be expensive because they have a valve rectified power supply which suits itself to phono because it isn't having to drive a lot of current.

One I had recently was a Remton 8382 and was an absolute dream with the Decca Gold it isn't valve rectified but does have a seperate PSU and at £450 new I think it would very hard to beat.

I'm not a fan of Tron but the convergence is a good MM stage and uses an internal step up for MC, as it's only £100 more you are only getting £100 worth of SUT.

If you really want a valve phono I'd look at

Audio Note M1 RIAA
Croft RIAA
Icon Audio PS1
Remton 8382
Pro-ject tubebox DS
EAR 834p

I don't think the Techie would sound at all lacking through a good phono stage - you'd be surprised at what a top stage can do for even modest decks. Look what people put lumbering rumbling 301s through. Think I'd take a Techie and a good stage over one of those any day. Last time I heard a Techie in anger was in a club where what appeared to be a bog standard one with an Ortofon produced prodigious bass. I wondered at the time how many audiophile decks would have coped with those spls. At any rate, few of the 'approved' turntables ever see a really good phono stage and fewer still a really good valve stage. I say give it a go.

Is the new Techie really better than the tried and trusted one that almost created a musical genre? Remain to be convinced, but then I don't use one.

I'd add:

Puresound P10 Phono Stage

Different generations exist with differing adjustments.

M

I was going to mention that but it's not a valve stage.

It is very very good but he'd also need the T10 for MC.

If the Jolida phono stage is at the same quality as their DAC, then it may well take a lot of beating for sensible money. I've had an EAR 834p & that was also great. I've not heard a Tron, but it seems to have a bit of a fan club. I'm presently using an Audio research ph5 which I got 2nd hand for about £700, iirc. Superb.

You won't go wrong with a minimax phono stage, I've had one for 11 years and the reliability is 1st class,
punchy, quick with valve openess and tonal colours along with superb build quality, what's not to like. Available s/h for circa £500 / £600.
A steall at that price.

Hi,

There is a cracking Rega Aria in the classifieds, it may not be valve but it is a great phono stage.

Of course you might look at getting a different pre with phono stage to go with your set up, it all depends what other equipment you have and the speakers.

Cheers

John

I have a Leben RS30EQ and a Stevens and Billington TX103 Sut for sale.

Lovely combo, and only selling as I have decided to come away from vinyl.

I used to have an art audio phono and you might want to check those out too.

Who/why are you being steered towards a SS stage rather than valves?
Something like a 2nd hand EAR 834p is as easy to live with as any PS I've had over the years. Unless you want to experiment with different valves, or you constantly forget to switch it off at the end of the day, there are no downsides.
If you do go down the SS route, a 2nd hand Whest of some description would be a very good place to start.

advertisement

Back