advertisement

Valve amp - diagnose from audio faults?

bugbear

pfm Member
I've retrieved my old Armstrong PCU25/A20 pre/power amplifier pair from the attic, where they've been since 1996 (and the purchase of the big Sugden).

They were my only amplifier between 1984 and 1996 (they were bought for fun from a antique(junk) shop, but turned out to be nicer than my Rotel 840BX).

I left them in the lounge to acclimatise for a couple of days, then powered them up, driven by a CD player, and driving my Spendor Preludes. It turned out, the passage of time has not been kind. All kinds of buzzes and crackles. I did "the obvious" and hit all the valve sockets, umbilical socket and input selector contacts with "Kontakt 2000 Gold" contact cleaner. 5 minutes were spent twiddling the control pots, cycling the front panel switches, and playing with the input selector.

Ah - much better - it pretty much works, although changing to a vintage 12W valve amp and Spendor Preludes dumped on the floor from a 100W Sugden into Epos 22's is a substantial downgrade. I tried the CD player into the high level inputs (Tape1/Radio/Aux) and my Roksan Xerxes into the "Gram" input. Amplification is definitely happening.

Sadly, after an hours running, something bad developed. Whilst the amplifier has some low level hiss and mains hum, the left channel (channel 'A') started making a noise I can best describe as sounding like a dirty contact being continously made and broken; a sort of scratchy sound, that also varies a little over time. Meanwhile (not to be outdone) the right ('B') channels makes the occasional 'pop'. Interestingly, I noted than when I powered the amp down, it generated the same kind of pops from both channels.

Checking visually, I spotted that both large electrolytic caps have a bulge in their black bases, and a resistor across the main reservoir cap is (I think) burnt out. It's literally white in the middle. (I've presented the photo with two brightness levels to try and show the bulge in the black material, which isn't easy)

cap_resis by plybench, on Flickr

So - is any of what I've described indicative of a "classic, well known fault" that valve amps are prone to, that is a quick and easy fix? Or does it need (and deserve) a full refurb/restore?

Scratchy noise could be DC leakage through a blocking capacitor into the volume pot. Not sure about 'pop' sounds, but I reckon it could be psu caps leaking (current) changing the voltage. If the supply isn't stable, that may cause such disturbances as these variations are likely to cause variations in the bias conditions.
Full recap methinks.
Quick g00g1e says popping is caused by discharge/arcing and could be power tubes. However, it could be those kn4ckered discharge resistors across the supply.
I guessing here but you'd need something like 100k/5W 500V jobbies, assuming something of the order of 400V supplies as 100k would drop 4mA from 400V at 1.6W. It's not that critical TBH. You need just enough to discharge the supplies over say a 30 minutes and that depends on the value of the PSU caps.

What voltages can I expect in there - I'm not sure my Toy scope and/or cheap digital multimeter would like it.

Possibly time to break out the AVO mk8

Scratchy noise could be DC leakage through a blocking capacitor into the volume pot. Not sure about 'pop' sounds, but I reckon it could be psu caps leaking (current) changing the voltage. If the supply isn't stable, that may cause such disturbances as these variations are likely to cause variations in the bias conditions.
Full recap methinks.
Quick g00g1e says popping is caused by discharge/arcing and could be power tubes. However, it could be those kn4ckered discharge resistors across the supply.
I guessing here but you'd need something like 100k/5W 500V jobbies, assuming something of the order of 400V supplies as 100k would drop 4mA from 400V at 1.6W. It's not that critical TBH. You need just enough to discharge the supplies over say a 30 minutes and that depends on the value of the PSU caps.
It might be a CRC filter on the HT

Pete

Whilst googling I discovered that Armstrong A20 is strongly liked (even amongst other vintage valve kit) in China!

advertisement

Back