advertisement

V A ratings

john & Jake

Jake was smarter than me
hi,
at present I have my Exposure dueled with two differntly rated transformers as I couldn't aquire two Exposure transformers of the same size.
I would like to upgrade the transformers but I am unsure as to the importance of the VA rating.
I am using 324 va right and 225 va left.
Can I safely go for a higher VA without having the fire brigade on standby???
Replacing the transformers would also enable the Arcam 5 plus to be powered from a seperate box which would be ideal.

dogrun.gif

hi,
feeling lonely way down here.

Think I'll just bump myself up to the top!

That's better.

If I replace 324 va with 500 will it go bang???

Anyone???

dogrun.gif

Sorry John, haven't felt qualified to comment, but my feeling would be that as long as the secondaries are the same, and you uprate the fuse accordingly, it should be fine. Perhaps you would have more problems with inrush on initial power up with the larger trannys? Also will larger trannys fit into the box?

Will there just be more current potential in the circuit?

The resistance stays the same R. You have the same V voltage on the secondaries... so it should be the same I...

Andy Weeks or Les would be better to answer though I suppose..

It would cost more to keep switched on maybe?

hi Richard,
With a bit of surgery to the internals of the Expo IV cas I could fit in two 500 va's.
I have had a look at Expo's site regarding the supplies and come to realise that as they have secondaries to run pre amps then the available Va to the power amp is a lot less, 245va right and 170va left.
So I may change to two 300 va's with only one secondary and then use regulation in the knowledge that both chanels will receive 300 va.

dogrun.gif

advertisement

Back