advertisement

Using the Sony WH 1000XM4 wired..?

steveinspain

pfm Member
Anyone know what do they sound like when wired to a reasonable dac/amp?
I've just tried on a friend's xm4's and they actually feel fairly comfortable to me and didn't sound too bad either although I haven't tried any other noise cancelling bluetooth headphones.
How good are they for use at home wired up to a dac/amp - something in the £100-£200 bracket to give an idea of budget?

What's the reasoning for wanting to use wireless bluetooth headphones wired with a DAC/amp pairing? Just curious.

What's the reasoning for wanting to use wireless bluetooth headphones wired with a DAC/amp pairing? Just curious.
I am looking for some reasonably cheap headphones for use while away from home and then some (better?) wired for home use. However.....
I've struggled with almost all I've tried being uncomfortable on my head and the XM4's I tried seemed ok over a fairly short period but cost more than I'd spend for a travel pair unless they might double up as a decent home pair with an amp/dac wired.
That would save me getting some more expensive ones for home use and if bought used would be way less expensive than the only other pair I've found comfortable enough (Meze 109 pro at £770-ish) even with an amp/dac.
I'd have no problem using them in bluetooth mode if there was no real sonic upgrade but so far have no idea how good they (the XM4's) sound with a decent source.

I will say the newer xm5 sounds a little less muddled but of course also more expensive and it doesn’t fold so there’s that. And the headband fit is slightly different. I own both.

I do believe that ANC headphones like the XM4/5 that use a lot of DSP sound most like intended when used active/on. So at least don't run them passive/off even when wired.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sony/comments/nzk38l/how_is_sound_quality_of_wh1000xm4_between/

Used mine mostly wired at the football and also into a Hugo TT2. Not the last word in anything but very good nonetheless.

I will say the newer xm5 sounds a little less muddled but of course also more expensive and it doesn’t fold so there’s that. And the headband fit is slightly different. I own both.
Thanks for the replies - I guess it is worth looking into further!

Hello, this is joelv2. joelv1 is sitting right next to me and says hi to everyone. I Have been a user of the Sony XM series since the XM1, and am still using the XM4. I have used the wired connection on intercontinental flights in the past, and always keep the noise cancellation on when using them. Frankly, with headphones, comfort is 99% of the battle. IME headphones are of no use if they do not fit comfortably. How they sound is a secondary concern. The Sony XM1000 - at least M1 through M4 - I have not tried the M5 - all sound pretty good and fit my head and ears superbly well. I would not go back to non noise-cancelling phones unless forced to do so by circumstance.

advertisement

Back