advertisement

Using single core mains cable for speakers?

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
What it says up there, anyone given it a go? I'll have some long runs to do under the floor and thought making some up using this stuff and some banana plugs I've got knocking around might be sensible (and cheap!).

cheers

This was all the rage in the eighties! I used some on a Marantz/Nad/Tannoy set up and it seemed at least different to standard 79 strand. The introduction of a good value proper cable i.e. Exposure/Cable Talk 3 was much better though. Back then only £2.50 a metre.

I too tried it in the early '80s, I thought it very good in the mid but a bit lacking in the bass IIRC. It comes in different thicknesses too, I think it was 1.5mm I used. I built mains leads and rewired mains blocks with it too - I distinctly remember soldering the stuff into the little round bulgin plug on my Quad amps. I'm pretty sure Hi Fi Answers were to blame. I filled my Lenco plinth up with plasticine and lead shot too!

I've had friends that used to use biwired cable with solid core on the treble and multistrand on the bass.

Talk 3 cable is so cheap and so flexible it's not worth considering stuff like mains cable nowadays.

The most important thing is to make sure you use thick enough cable (to keep resistance low), the actual geometry is less important.

I also used 2.5mm twin and earth for long runs from my Naim system to garden speakers (Rogers LS6a). It was fine and probably fairly low impedance.

However, if I were installing speaker cable subterraneously for a half decent system I'd make sure which cable works well with amp. and speakers and stick with that. If you're prepared to take a punt and the t & e can be easily be transposed with audio cable if it doesn't work well, then go ahead. The purity of mains cable isn't brilliant ('cos it doesn't have to be) and can oxidise quite quickly.

Whether it's system dependant I don't know, but I tried 4ft lengths from mono-blocs to speakers and it was awful, just confused sound, no music.

cheers Al

I'm another one who did it back in the '80s, I had my Rogers LS1 speakers bi-wired with single core mains feeding the tweeters and some multi-core cable feeding the woofers, the crossovers mounted in boxes at the back of the amplifier. I think I thought it sounded good at the time....

Tried it several times in the 70's, not great sonically, and stiff connections are not easy. If long runs say plus 5mtres then go for stranded speaker cable 4 sq mmm to reuce voltage drop, several sited on the web at reasonable prices. Also put in a couple of couple of shielded cables for XLR conections if you ever go active. Alternately put in some 50mm drain pipes as ducts with a wire pull through and smooth bends remember to replce the pull thoughs when cabling. If you have access under the floor then try anything over 2.5mm sq! and have a play.

The main problem is stiffness, which makes it hard to hide. I have used it and would solder any connections. I don't see how surface oxidation of a solid can be an issue versus lots of tiny strands. Use some thin for ease and because most people need more resistance unless your speakers are super fruity bass already.

What it says up there, anyone given it a go? I'll have some long runs to do under the floor and thought making some up using this stuff and some banana plugs I've got knocking around might be sensible (and cheap!).

cheers

Yup, tried it. 5 metres of NAC A4 replaced by 10 metres of B&Qs finest, driving Briks from our Meridian 103D during one of our "hey, why don't we change the living room around" phases in the 80's/90's (sometime before 1996 anyway in the old house :) )

The living room quickly reverted to its old configuration and the NAC A4 went back in.

Buy yourself a few metres of coaxial cable with solid 1.5mm copper core and foam insulation, strip away the sheath and remove the woven shield, then join a pair of conductors with masking paper tape.
It's cheap as peas to try and you might be surprised.
(or buy some used DNM/Cyrus/Mission)

R

one year , one chap at the wigwam had these magnificent speakers wired up with 3 core mains just to show you didn`t need fancy stuff to make a good sound

I had little success when I tried

one year , one chap at the wigwam had these magnificent speakers wired up with 3 core mains just to show you didn`t need fancy stuff to make a good sound

I had little success when I tried

Come to think of it, maybe It was B&Q 13A three core and not solid that we tried.........

Whatever it was, it sounded krap!

Come to think of it, maybe It was B&Q 13A three core and not solid that we tried.........

Whatever it was, it sounded krap!

Many moons ago, twin and earth was (at least in some cases) stranded; those were the days of red for live, black for neutral and green for earth. I think that all domestic electrical t & e cable since has been solid core. 13 amp. stranded is simply flex.

Just about any cable, flex or lead will work between amp. and speakers, but as in most things, it's how well it works. I do think that in the 40 years or so of 'modern' t & e, audiophiles in the U.K. would have discovered that it was a worthwhile substitute for audio lead. Some of the previous comments would bear this out.

cheers
What's the point really, you can get hold of second hand speaker cable for peanuts, alternatively, buy some van damme blue.

What's the point really, you can get hold of second hand speaker cable for peanuts, alternatively, buy some van damme blue.

Just any random speaker cable won't be any better than generic cable just because it is labelled "speaker cable". It will still basically be one or more strands of copper covered by an insulating material...

advertisement

Back