advertisement

Using Roon DSP as a balance control

simon g

Older, wiser but no longer retired
I'm contemplating a change in amplifier. A slight fly in the ointment is the lack of a balance control, which I view as essential.

I believe I can achieve this via the DSP facility in Roon. My experience with DSP is limited, so I'm after some advice.

There seems to be two methods available: alter gain on one channel or enter distances to speakers, which introduces a small delay. Which is preferable? I could just give this a go, but I would appreciate thr input of others more knowledgeable in this area.

If using gain, is it better (to move balance to left, as it were) to increase gain on left or decrease on right?

Is there a significant impact on SQ using DSP in this way?

I use the standard Roon Nucleus, which performs perfectly. However, in using DSP balance control, would that introduce a need for greater processing power than is comfortably available?

I’ve used Roon for this, and it was fine - it’s better to subtract than to add, but beyond that I don’t think there was anything to worry about.

I didn’t notice any exaggerated processor demands, and there was no perceptible SQ impact from just the balance (adding other DSP functions could make a difference, but not balance alone IME).

I ended up moving on from Roon and now use a dual mono Khozmo passive preamp as a balance control (overkill, perhaps, but it works). So something like that might be an alternative option if you wanted one.

But Roon works fine.

I’ve used Roon for this, and it was fine - it’s better to subtract than to add, but beyond that I don’t think there was anything to worry about.

I didn’t notice any exaggerated processor demands, and there was no perceptible SQ impact from just the balance (adding other DSP functions could make a difference, but not balance alone IME).

I ended up moving on from Roon and now use a dual mono Khozmo passive preamp as a balance control (overkill, perhaps, but it works). So something like that might be an alternative option if you wanted one.

But Roon works fine.

Thanks, that's helpful. I take it you used the gain control functionality?

Just make sure you are reducing gain on one channel rather than increasing it on another, otherwise it distorts. I have this in use in my office system as I am closer tot he left speaker.
Setting speaker distance works better at longer distances in my experience. I am only a few feet from the speakers in the office. However in the living room I prefer to sit on the end of the sofa and if its just me I sometimes turn on the speaker distance setting so I get a central sound even though I am too the left.

It all works fine to my ears.

advertisement

Back