advertisement

Usher R1.5 Vs Parasound halo A21

Usher R1.5 Vs Parasound halo A21
Thoughts and opinions on these 2 amp's?
Different sound qualitys/characteristics?
Which might suit my dms Isobariks better?

I have not heard the Usher, so this is probably of little help, but I had the A21 here a little while back. I really enjoyed that driving some big Neat Ultimatums. Effortlessly powerful is probably the best way to sum it up.

Usher is massively powerful, very smooth top end (valve sounding) and controlled, accurate bass. Fugly thing, built like a tank and will probably last a lifetime. Mine replaced £6k of amps. I now run two bridged. Sublime. I'd never dream of changing.

I'm sure the Parasound is good as well but I've never heard it. I'd be stunned if anyone had heard both amps in the same system.

+1 for the A21 although have no heard the Usher.

The A21 is a John Curl design and the R1.5 seems a Threshold copy which is a Nelson Pass design.

Which legend do you prefer to own? Don't think you can go wrong with either really.

Usher is massively powerful, very smooth top end (valve sounding) and controlled, accurate bass. Fugly thing, built like a tank and will probably last a lifetime. Mine replaced £6k of amps. I now run two bridged. Sublime. I'd never dream of changing.

I'm sure the Parasound is good as well but I've never heard it. I'd be stunned if anyone had heard both amps in the same system.

Prepare to be stunned!
I have actually had both amps in my system driving my Usher mini dancer 2's. The Usher had great bass and dynamics, but was spoilt by a sibilant top end (read the hifi world measured performance online), where the Parasounds bass and dynamics though good were not the equal of the Usher, but more importantly, the parasounds top end was smooth and detailed.
My Parasound a21 was for sale recently on AOS forum around £1300. A lot of amp for the money, and less than one year old.
Andrew.

Andrew, interesting impressions. I've never thought of the Usher as being bright.

I can't find the review you mention. Do you have a link?

Why did you sell the Parasound?

Prepare to be stunned!
I have actually had both amps in my system driving my Usher mini dancer 2's. The Usher had great bass and dynamics, but was spoilt by a sibilant top end (read the hifi world measured performance online), where the Parasounds bass and dynamics though good were not the equal of the Usher, but more importantly, the parasounds top end was smooth and detailed.
Andrew.

They both look like very impressive amps and not a lot between them. Probably come down to personal taste. I ultimately need to be sure of a smooth treble and lots of power, I deffo dont want it too bright or 'sibilant' (http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/3_power_amps_e.html)Harry) maybe it depends more on the pre-amp you use with it to if this occurs?
I also didnt fancy shuffling 40kg as apposed to 27kg around the house.
I ended up opting for a Halo A21, should get it tomorrow!

+1 for the A21 although have no heard the Usher.

The A21 is a John Curl design and the R1.5 seems a Threshold copy which is a Nelson Pass design.

Which legend do you prefer to own? Don't think you can go wrong with either really.

Hehe, well I dont know much about these designers but Nelson Pass looks a lot more hip a cooler than John Curl ;)

Andrew, interesting impressions. I've never thought of the Usher as being bright.

I can't find the review you mention. Do you have a link?

Why did you sell the Parasound?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...05.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEh-3Zhyb_SLGW4XDiB_tE_JfIxWQ

If your Usher amps suit you and your system Harry, just enjoy them, it is a superb power amp, but it did not suit me or my system.
I sold the parasound because i prefer the smoother sound of valves, and i'm now enjoying an Ear 861.

Cheers. I'd never seen that review. Pretty good I'd say.

If anyone is looking for a brilliant power amp I have one for sale.

I'm keeping the two I'm using in my main system. Best sound I've ever experienced.

advertisement

Back