advertisement

USB to spdif & I2S

ntom

pfm Member
Anyone tried either of these or have any experience to relate?

Taralab-X2 ...seems to support native 24/96 on usb. And outputs on I2S....so was hoping might work with my Perpetual Technologies DAC (I2S input).

Or what about QA01 USB (inc 24/96) & Analog (up to 24/192) to SPDIF, Toslink & I2S. Contemplating trying this with same Perpetual Technologies DAC via I2S.
The A to D might be useful in place of my Audiophile 24/96 for digitising LP.

And if I can get the usb out from my Squeezebox Touch these devices are appealing....both for less than £50...

I use the Teralink X2, its a great little USB to spdif convertor and well worth the money, now if it works into your Dac with I2S i dont know! If you email the manufacture or have a look at the thread over on headfi they might know.

That's not quite true, I2S has to be kept short, M2Tech recommend halfa metre or less for the connection between the EVO and the EVO dac,
Keith.

That's not quite true, I2S has to be kept short, M2Tech recommend halfa metre or less for the connection between the EVO and the EVO dac,
Keith.

Evo and Evo Dac are most probably constructed in such a way, that they can work with longer cables. Connecting another DACs to Evo i2s can cause problems.

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1260

i2s specifies only the data protocol which is used between chips on the pcbs and says nothing about the cable connection.

Myself, i don't have experience in this area, now using spdif and i am looking for a good usb-i2s interface and want to test it one day.

Thx for the comments / info so far...

Sprung for the QA01 (thought the added A to D function might be useful at some point).

So have to wait to see if I can get it to work via I2S into the Perpetual Technologies gear.

Currently have SB Touch ---> (SPDIF) --->Perpetual Technologies P-1a ---> (I2S) --->Perpetual Technologies P-3a DAC

Hoping to use the latest software mods to pick up USB out from the SB Touch then use the QA01 to feed via I2S to the P-1a.....!!

There are very few commercial I2S-based solutions. The Wyred 4 Sound DACs and servers cunningly deploy I2S over an HDMI physical protocol to enable longer runs without tears. The Pop Pulse USB converter has an I2S output using an RJ45. People have also had success modifying the Musiland 01 for I2S output . . .

OK for the record...!

Went for the QA01. Nice little device.

Has 2 inputs:
1. usb (accepts up to 24/96)

2. analogue.

Outputs:
1. I2S
2. s/pdif optical
3. s/pdif coax

I mod'ed the Squeezebox Touch (SBT) software to allow digital out through the usb. Connected this to the QA01 and fed s/pdif to my DAC. Worked well at all combinations of sample rate.

Then took the supplied I2S (cat 5e cable) and removed the plug from one end & replaced with a mini- 5pin din to suit my Perpetual Technologies gear.

Plugged into my P-1a via I2S input & connected P-1a to P-3a DAC (via I2S) .......& hey presto, worked first time.

Haven't had opportunity to do any serious testing or compare against s/pdif out from SBT yet as in middle of building a listening room.... or would be if it ever stopped raining!! Difficult to DBT as have to reboot SBT to switch from usb to s/pdif. But headphone listening was encouraging....

Suffice to say the technology works though....

advertisement

Back