advertisement

USB to SPDIF Convertors

The Musiland is the best I've heard close to that price: the SMSL isn't bad (and cheaper), but as long as you're on Windows (the Mac drivers are deeply troubled), go for it. I've always got some Musiland products about the place, including the 01D . . .

Bear in mind that you will pay 20% VAT, currency conversion charges, (maybe some) import duty and an £8.95 Parcelforce fee on top of the the $73.99 . . . but for the price, there's nothing to touch it.

Every USB to SPDIF convertors I found work in that way. I'd like to connect my digital TV box from it's digital RCA output to computer, so I would need convertor which can convert SPDIF to USB, which is in opposite way of USB to SPDIF. Can anyone recommend something on a cheap?

thanks!

loads to choose from. i went for an audio gd di3 which was just over £100. i haven't compared it to anything else but it is way better then my m audio soundcard

Yes it is, as the only sampling frequences allowed in Windows, etc are 44.1 and 48kHz.

Have you actually tried it on your Behringer UCA202?

I ask because I understood that Windows passes up to 96/24 data via USB with no special drivers or software installed and up to 192/24 with special drivers or software installed.

Could the limit be down to the Behringer UCA202 rather than Windows?

Also, although I don't use a Mac I understand no special drivers or software need to be installed to pass up to 192/24 data via USB.

Yes, I do own a UCA202.

Windows does pass up to 96/24 on my MDAC without drivers, but the Behringer DAC, also without drivers, won't let this happen (I believe it's chips/DACs only support up to 48 kHz sampling rate).

A Mac won't change this limitatation of the UCA202.

Yes, I do own a UCA202.

Windows does pass up to 96/24 on my MDAC without drivers, but the Behringer DAC, also without drivers, won't let this happen (I believe it's chips/DACs only support up to 48 kHz sampling rate).

A Mac won't change this limitatation of the UCA202.

So it could be sampling/re-sampling before optical output even though the specifications state 'Additional S/PDIF optical output for direct digital conversion'.

Thanks for the info.

I strongly suspect the resampling is done in windows and that the UCA202 can't take a 96/24 signal. I can confirm that, using WASAPI, it won't accept HD audio.

The Musiland is the best I've heard close to that price: the SMSL isn't bad (and cheaper), but as long as you're on Windows (the Mac drivers are deeply troubled), go for it. I've always got some Musiland products about the place, including the 01D . . .

Bear in mind that you will pay 20% VAT, currency conversion charges, (maybe some) import duty and an £8.95 Parcelforce fee on top of the the $73.99 . . . but for the price, there's nothing to touch it.

I have the Musiland product and it really is a fantastic (sounding) product. The downside is that it is not UAC1 or 2 compliant so can only be used with the proprietary Windows driver from Musiland. They don't have a Linux driver so can't be used with a Linux machine but I heard some rumours that they had produced a driver for Macs - needs checking out if you intend to buy and have a Mac.
I was lucky when I bought mine - no surcharges or fees...you take your chances......

Thanks for that, is the Musiland suitable to use on a mac mini?

I strongly suspect the resampling is done in windows and that the UCA202 can't take a 96/24 signal. I can confirm that, using WASAPI, it won't accept HD audio.

I thought you could stop that my using ASIO4All with WinXP, but not sure about Vista onwards.

Shame it is limited to 48/16 when the specifications states 'Additional S/PDIF optical output for direct digital conversion'.

advertisement

Back