advertisement

USB DAC with Mac Mini

Never heard that one, but technically they measure perfectly so..... And the MIRUS and INVICTA have some of the most perfect test results ever recorded...

Have never looked at measurements and choose based on what I like the sound of, the resonessence sounded dull.

OK cool - my bad, thought you came from the 'PFM tech department' but obviously you use your ears and not your eyes when listening :)

When it comes to replay I am purely subjective but on things like streaming I'm objective, I work as a network designer, have a CCIE in routing & switching so understand that hard drives, NAS or the network cannot change the sound of a digital file.

I do exactly what you're after. I have a headless Gigabyte brix SFF PC running JRiver MC20, connected to a USB DAC.

It's always on as it's silent and power draw is negligible. I control it via the Gizmo app either from my Android tablet or Android phone, I also have an app on the Tablet that lets me control the Brix remotely via my network, great for organising music or doing maintenance on the Brix without needing to move it somewhere near a display.

That is exactly what I'm after!

Any opinion on this which has cheaper options?

https://www.icubes.co.uk/sector/35/asusvivomini.aspx

When it comes to replay I am purely subjective but on things like streaming I'm objective, I work as a network designer, have a CCIE in routing & switching so understand that hard drives, NAS or the network cannot change the sound of a digital file.

Yes, funny how that works. It is like how one realizes how pretty much everything mass media writes about your own area of expertise is just plain wrong or misleading, and start wondering about other areas. I think there is even a name for that effect. but can't remember it right now.

So are you saying there's nothing more to learn or develop in networking?

So are you saying there's nothing more to learn or develop in networking?

There is a heck of a lot to learn or develop in networking, but it won't affect the data being transmitted. Again, spreadsheets, programs and pictures don't get degraded in subtle ways when transmitted over a network.

Julf - if we are talking about non-realtime data transfers - then you are exactly right. If however we're talking realtime / latency sensitive then that's a whole different story.

Julf - if we are talking about non-realtime data transfers - then you are exactly right. If however we're talking realtime / latency sensitive then that's a whole different story.

Best not let a little bit of knowledge get in the way of development, innit.

We have been able to do realtime networking stuff pretty well for at least 20 years, but home use is definitely not realtime. Realtime is live performance stuff in the studio, home audio streaming is buffered with non-realtime latency.

advertisement

Back