advertisement

USA customs/taxes/shipping etc. questions....

TimF

pfm Member
Sorry about this thread, I admit to not knowing much on this subject at all, and trying to read what is out there on the net has me even more confused.

I am located in the US, I have a gentleman that I know, so it isn't a scam, from Slovenia who has a turntable I am looking to purchase. He is going to ship via DHL, and I would assume he would know what the shipping/insurance costs will be to ship it to my location, again, assuming a DHL hub near me(?). Since I will pay for the shipping/insurance, I think it best to roll that shipping cost into my invoice, at least that makes sense to me.

What I have no idea is what potential taxes and customs fees will be due at time of me taking delivery. We have no VAT. Are these customs and taxes/fees typically paid at the DHL hub at delivery, and I assume can be paid by credit card etc.?

Any advice or assistance would be welcome, and again, sorry for maybe the seemingly very ignorant questions here....

This is more or less right - it's from 2016, so not the latest information...
Have a read of it, then go have a chat with your local DHL depot to get their take on it plus any updated info.

Thanks for this BTC3, yes, I had thought about talking to my local DHL hub/depot to make sure things are right-in my head and otherwise....thanks again!

I recently bought a pair of Spendor LS3/5As from Germany. Shipped DHL - took 7 WEEKS to arrive. Tracking was useless. DHL uses USPS once the package arrives in the US. I didn't have to pay any US customs charges/duty/tax. Shipping was $130.

Hi Tim -- DHL delivered a Naim preamp and amp to me in New York from the UK. There were no issues with the delivery, but DHL held the items for a few days until I paid the import duties (with a credit card, over the phone). Fed Ex, on the other hand, has delivered straight to me and sent a bill for the customs charges after the fact -- a nice touch, I thought.

All in all, the deliveries I've arranged from overseas have gone well -- no big deal.

Hope this helps!
Joe

Thanks for the replies all. I think I have a bit of a handle on it all, and maybe a good thing I am in no hurry. Nice to know that I can pay customs etc. by credit card over phone too. We shall see how it all goes, nothing ventured, nothing gained! Hopefully it will all go well, fingers crossed!

Philv, postage/shipping was paid upfront by me, we just included it in the bank wire, so I take it though customs will be approx. 25% then of purchase price?

Thanks!

It's a bit of a lottery. I sent a pair of speakers from London to Chicago. They arrived in 48 hours and the buyer got away without paying anything.

In the end, it will be what it will be, so I shall wait and see. The turntable should be shipping out on Monday, will see how long it takes to make it through customs and all that, and I shall be primed to pay....Thanks again all for your comments here!

Probably not a problem with a turntable, but I have seen US customs seize equipment without UL and FCC approvals.

In case of overseas shipping in my opinion it's worth to consider https://clicktrans.com/ as an alternative for commonly used transport providers. You can get lower pricers and have contact with the transport provider that handles your shipment so they probably can help you also with all questions concerning shipment

advertisement

Back