advertisement

Urgent solution sought

Ian G

pfm Member
After two years, repeated sundown wanderings a bad urinary infection effecting his kidneys, being prescribed drugs that induced double incontinence and a final fall onto his bonce, my father had finally been taken into full time care, phew.

Due to the microscopic nature of his accommodation he can't have his 500CD collection. Does this exist, or will I have to build it ? Simple to all in one device that randomly plays the contents of 50 cd's, even better if there was a play button for Classical, Jazz & MOR
Simple volume on the unit auto off after 1.5 HR but not essential.

Anything??

In anticipation.

I think you'll get a better response if Tony moves this to the Audio Room, and maybe make the title more specific to what you need. Good luck.

I just remembered this cool desktop Digital Music Streamer/Preamp/Headphone amp which is good value & easily configurable.

even a small room will surely have room for 50 cd`s . can you just swop them round every few weeks . they are easy to use and he is familiar with them . Losing ones home is bad but keeping familiar and precious things is priceless , no doubt he likes to read the covers too

If it is urgent, you could just get him a portable, plug-in radio from which he can choose classical or other music, or talk shows and news. And then, without urgency, work out what would be best for him in this situation.

After two years, repeated sundown wanderings a bad urinary infection effecting his kidneys, being prescribed drugs that induced double incontinence and a final fall onto his bonce, my father had finally been taken into full time care, phew.

Due to the microscopic nature of his accommodation he can't have his 500CD collection. Does this exist, or will I have to build it ? Simple to all in one device that randomly plays the contents of 50 cd's, even better if there was a play button for Classical, Jazz & MOR
Simple volume on the unit auto off after 1.5 HR but not essential.

Anything??

In anticipation.
How is your dad mentally? An iPhone or iPad plus 2x Homepod mini and a subscription to Apple Music makes a great solution, sounds good, voice control works, no fuss. It could be a problem though if he just wants the familiarity of CD in which case, I don't know, something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-...ngs-Black/dp/B0C69H1X49/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 might be the thing and take the actual CDs in, as many as you have space for.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Be careful - if you rips the discs, he will still need to own the originals. Perhaps you can store them for him.

Maybe a spotify account might better?

Mentally he suffers from a very limited working memory and can't retain much of a thought process. He used to be able to choose a cd and load it and play it, but recently he was unable to do this. He hasn't been able to put CDs back in their cases but just stacks them, they all become damaged and don't read causing further confusion. His room is tiny and doesn't have a suitable surface for a stack of CDs. He needs a one box solution, the home has no internet available, probably because many of the residents are far worse than him. You can at least have a conversation with him.

He is incapable of ripping a cd that would be down to me.

How is your dad mentally? An iPhone or iPad plus 2x Homepod mini and a subscription to Apple Music makes a great solution, sounds good, voice control works, no fuss. It could be a problem though if he just wants the familiarity of CD in which case, I don't know, something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-...ngs-Black/dp/B0C69H1X49/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 might be the thing and take the actual CDs in, as many as you have space for.
The Panasonic is far too complicated for him, I had to get a TV remote with only three buttons before he could use it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have a Sansa Clip mp3 player, this has headphone out and will plug in to a one box system. It holds 100+ CDs, certainly enough that you don't get to the end of them.

Trust me, an always on shuffle device with just a volume control is where you'll end up. My old man went from being entirely comfortable with the old B&o setup that he'd had for 20 plus years to only being able to manage the volume control option in a few short years. Keep it simple.

I'm amazed no one makes such a thing, what with an aging population and all.

Nope never, never in the history of the world. Mine are all gone, I still have the rips somewhere. In all honesty if I lost those rips I wouldnt care. Most everything I listen to is on Tidal. For less than the price of one CD per month. This is the cheapest music has ever been for me.

advertisement

Back