advertisement

Upright Piano's

Indeed it was, Nic.

As my daughter is coming up for her Grade 5 exam in the next couple of months, I'm revisiting this sooner rather than later...

Not had any dealings with him but seems a good guy who knows his stuff. Good luck if/when you go ahead.

Cheers,

Nic.

We're off tomorrow for a test drive. I'm looking forward to this - not to the 8 hours round trip. But, you gotta hear them!!

The Girl passed Grade 5 with a Merit. Cost me £40 hard cash in bribes, but worth every penny when you hear her play! :D

Cheers

Jon

As promised, here is a little feedback from our recent piano hunt.

We took the 8 hour round trip to Oldham in order to test drive the pianos in stock at Mark Goodwin Pianos. Mark wasn't there (stuck overseas due to the ash cloud), but we were well looked after by his sister, who is herself an accomplished pianist. We were on site for around an hour and played all the pianos bar the ones fitted with a silent system. That was a total of around 12 IIRC. Actually, I stood an watched while my daughter supplied the talent! ;)

We finally decided on a 1986 UX-3 - restored such that you'd think it was new. We applied for interest-free finance for £2K with the Arts Council "Take It Away" scheme, which was a great help.

Our piano arrived 5 days ago. The delivery team MGP uses were absolutely brilliant and had no touble manoevring the piano into position. Comms were first-class, too.

All I can say is the difference between this acoustic and our Clavinova CLP-150, itself no slouch, is night and day - both actionwise and sound.

Overall, we're delighted with our new piano, and the service we got from MGP. If you're considering an upright piano, I'd have no hesitation in pointing you towards Mark.

Cheers!

Jon

Yamaha make nice motor bikes, and even passable CD players, but I'm afraid I'm ultra-conservative when it comes to pianos. Few of us can aspire to a Steinway, but a good secondhand Bösendorfer or Broadwood should be within the reach of any serious hi-fi enthusiast, given what s/he will often spend on equipment. I say secondhand because a piano is one of those things which costs a fortune new, but whose value plummets the instant it leaves the showroom. As the second owner, you can let the first owner take the hit. And, unlike some things which the fear of controversy compels me not to mention, pianos do improve with playing - especially the action.

I'm sorry I don't meet your lofty criteria, Clara!!

(so to be a "serious" hi-fi enthusiast you must spend lots of money frequently?)

Might I gently remind you this country (if not the world ) is in a general recession. It hasn't been many months since many big-name firms round here were dropping like nine pins.

I have "honty tonk" piano here if any one is interested. Its a long story but its been a nice piano at one time. In need of some tlc its now for spares or repair.

From my limited experience, I'd say go and play em all. I played all sorts, and have been back since prepping for grade 5 and played most of em again in differing shops.

There is an element of getting used to the keys you have i.e. I used my Roland a90 mainly for programming duties now - piano is the big black Zimmerman downstairs job.

Interestingly several other pianists have played my z1... some disliked it, but my piano teacher loves it, especially the action.

Its all down to individual choice, incl what you are wanting to pay, at the end of the day.

PS - grade 5 result in 2 weeks - gulp. On to theory now.

my wife sells actively on ebay (antiques/collectables) ... she goes regulary to live auction houses

old (good) pianos sell for as little as £60 .... darn things as so heavy and large, people don't bid on them (unless there is a dealer at the auction)

so, browse google for upcoming auctions .... place book or phone bids (no need to go there) .... you will be amazed

The fab U3X we bought from Mark Goodwin is for sale. Sadly, due to exams etc, my daughter has stopped her grades just shy of Grade 7.

We're keeping our CLP150 Clavinova, but have too many pianos at the moment!

Ad in the Classifieds.

advertisement

Back