advertisement

Upgrade to NAP300?

thranderson

pfm Member
This is my current setup
LP12 with Akurate specification (via upgrade route)
Superline (serviced two years ago) / Supercapo DR
NAC252 (serviced two years ago) / Supercap DR
2 x NAP135s (serviced three years ago)

I have been considering the idea of replacing the 135s with a NAP300.

What would the 300 bring? Any of you have experience of this?
Is this move logical?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Don't know what your speakers are, but if staying within the Naim realm, the 300 is probably a very logical next step I would think....

PS- You might lose a bit of that "sound" that the older Naim brings, the newer kit is a bit more smooth in my opinion, so it might, or might not suit you FWIW.

I recently purchased quite recently Naim serviced Nap135s from a chap who upgraded to Nap300, he said it was a very nice step up. He had no reason to be anything but honest as he was handing his beloved one owner 135s to me.

I can only compare my old Chrome bumper NAP250 vs NAP300, I found the latter to sound more serious & polished presentation - especially when cranked up on passive SBLs.

The NAP250 clearly had more bounce and the classic Naim sound. A pair of 135's would make it a tougher call I believe...

Yes, from what I can recall of the NAP300, the two other descriptions above are accurate. The NAP300 sounds more refined and mature, with more inherent smoothness, but also a nice sense of grip. In comparison, the older gear is not as detailed, but certainly lots of fun.

However, rather than upgrading to an NAP300, I strongly suggest you send your 135s off to Avondale, and get them fitted with SE230 modules (or even SE400). That would seriously put the NAP300 to shame, for a lot less money.

FYI, I used to own NAP135s, and even Avondale's modest NCC200 boards are a worthwhile upgrade. The new SE range is in another league altogether!

Last edited:
As one who got to 4 x 135s, 552 (after 52), Superline etc.before changing horses, I'd say the pre. is the greater upgrade for ALL sources, amplification and speakers (+ h'phones if you use them). It's a logical upgrade compared to changing amp(s) as it'll still be the 52 restricting (in effect) the signal potential by going to the 300. changing pre.= upgrade. Changing power = different, maybe better according to taste etc.

I'm going to buck the trend !

Keep the amps....move on the 252 for a better preamp....of which there are many

I upgraded my 135s for a 500
Slight improvement. Expected to be very impressed.
Driven by an 82 with 2 Hicaps which a few have said was the problem
Some rate the 300 however as better than the 500 !

Now for some heresy. Naimees stop here
Chord SPM1200E outperformed the 500.
Wee bit cheaper too

That's actually an interesting point, considering a pre-amp change...

I used to have 52/Super/2x135. I was feeding it with a Benchmark DAC2, which can also be a preamp unto itself (with two analog inputs to boot). I compared the DAC2 plugged through to the NAC52, versus straight into the NAP135s. The differences were ASTOUNDING!!! I immediately sold the NAC52 and Super-Cap, and ran with the DAC2 as DAC+pre-amp for many years. During that time, I poo-pooed the benefit of preamps. I figured that no pre-amp was the best pre-amp!

For DAC, I recently changed from the Benchmark DAC2 to a Denafrips Pontus II. I had the Denafrips plugged into an analog input of the DAC2, which made it really easy to do A/B comparisons of the two DACs. At times I felt the Denafrips was a bit overwhelming, but generally good.

I moved the DAC2 to my secondary system, so I needed an actual pre-amp in my main system. I wanted something that was very transparent, and grabbed a used Benchmark HPA4. I was surprised to discover that my system sounded far better than it had before. I'm really happy with the HPA4.

However, I recently upgraded from Avondale NCC300 to SE230. (The NCC300 is already massively better than the NAP135.) I would say that the jump to SE230 was at least 4x as good again.

So yes, a pre-amp change can help, but I still contend that a power amp change can make a massive improvement, and should not be discounted.

Last edited:
I would advise the OP takes a breath & listens to other gear. I did & I don’t have naim anymore.
Yup, I used to be a member of the Church of Naim, with CDS2/XPS/52/Super/2x135. (It's been a long time since I typed that. :D) It sounded good, but cost a stupid amount of money and was laughable compared to how my systems sound now.

It took a while, but I finally sold my last piece of "Naim" gear: a NAP110 that had upgraded with Avondale 110PS and NCC200.

That's why I urged the OP to consider upgrading his 135s with Avondale modules. It will sound far better, but he can retain the Naim aesthetic for now.

Yup, I used to be a member of the Church of Naim, with CDS2/XPS/52/Super/2x135. (It's been a long time since I typed that. :D) It sounded good, but cost a stupid amount of money and was laughable compared to how my systems sound now.

It took a while, but I finally sold my last piece of "Naim" gear: a NAP110 that had upgraded with Avondale 110PS and NCC200.

That's why I urged the OP to consider upgrading his 135s with Avondale modules. It will sound far better, but he can retain the Naim aesthetic for now.
I would generally urge a listen to active speakers first, game changer for me. I was at a similar level to you I just couldn’t square the SQ with what it ultimately cost. I ran the system for about 15 years.

Male a big change or don’t bother.

I used to have 52/Super/2x135. I was feeding it with a Benchmark DAC2, which can also be a preamp unto itself (with two analog inputs to boot)

For someone with a number of sources, a pre, with its customary 5 or 6 inputs, is mandatory. My 2 phonos, CD, tuner and h'phone amp need 5 and my TV yet another. Have to say that my biggest transformation in s.q. involvement was not from 52 to 552 (that was simply an uplift). Nor changing horses from 135s to EAR valved mono's (more subtleties here). It was changing the 552 for the EAR 912 pre. Not just sound and presentation, either; it released expensive Naim boxes (3 more than the 552 itself) plus Naim cabling etc. Total win-win on all fronts.

Bit of luck that the Headline (powered by 552) became redundant too, enabling me to get a far better (and cheaper) can amp and really start to listen to cans again. Another bonus ! I'm all in favour of building up a Naim system, as I did for over a generation, as you've suddenly got all that readily saleable stuff bringing in ££££s and realise the audio world is your cheaper but better oyster (that's the hindsight cynic in me!) :)

2 supercaps! Dang, over 10K in just external power supplies. You drank the kool-aide buddy!

I agree with many of the above - a new preamp will tighten/smooth things quite a bit. And serviced 135s are going to be hard to beat.

I would advise the OP takes a breath & listens to other gear. I did & I don’t have naim anymore.

+1 I used to have a 252/Supercap/250 (Black but not DR). As someone has said above, the weak link was the preamp not so much the 250. If you don't want to move away from Naim completely, I would try some alternative preamps before spending on a new NAP300DR. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I grew a little tired of the need to service a Nap250 every 7 years. Yes I kept it turned on, silly really. I did have loan of a black 250 when mine was away on service & quite rated it, a little smoother & more refined.

advertisement

Back