advertisement

Upgrade recommendations from a Well Tempered Lab Simplex

Jas02

Hi,

Looking for recommendations for a turntable + cartridge till around £5k. I’m currently using the Well Tempered Lab Simplex (old model) with the Dynavector 10x5 and it’s a great sounding set up however I would like a change and obviously a step up in sound and looks. My speakers are the Harbeth SHL5+ 40th anniversary and I’m using the Gold Note PH10 phono with the PSU10.

It would be even better if you have any experience upgrading from a WTL Simplex to another brand or going up in the WTL line.

Thanks

I'm planning to make a version of my SUPATRAC arm as a drop in replacement for Well Tempered. The Well Tempered Arm is genius, but I suspect it can bettered. I own an Amadeus, a Sondek, a souped up Technics 1210 and a couple of Garrards. I love them all, and I intend the SUPATRAC arm to work well with all of them.

I have just bought a WT Amadeus 254 GT and am very happy with it. I’ve previously had a WT Reference which was the best deck I’d ever heard by miles. The step up from the Pink Triangle I’ve been using for the last few is staggering. I’d strongly recommend giving the distributor a call to see where you’ll be able to get a demo once things open up again.

I'm planning to make a version of my SUPATRAC arm as a drop in replacement for Well Tempered. The Well Tempered Arm is genius, but I suspect it can bettered. I own an Amadeus, a Sondek, a souped up Technics 1210 and a couple of Garrards. I love them all, and I intend the SUPATRAC arm to work well with all of them.
That is interesting. Let me know how you get along. Wish I had such skills

I have just bought a WT Amadeus 254 GT and am very happy with it. I’ve previously had a WT Reference which was the best deck I’d ever heard by miles. The step up from the Pink Triangle I’ve been using for the last few is staggering. I’d strongly recommend giving the distributor a call to see where you’ll be able to get a demo once things open up again.
That’s a lovely turntable. A bit out of my budget but I will surely see if I can check it out. Do you have any experience with the older Amadeus?

No need to spend 5K. Trade in your 10X5 for a Dynavector DV-20X2 , a significant step up in refinement and works well on the WT Simplex, add a MCRU power supply and your deck will be very hard to beat compared with much more expensive turntables such as the higher end Regas and basic Linn combo.

That’s a lovely turntable. A bit out of my budget but I will surely see if I can check it out. Do you have any experience with the older Amadeus?
Yes, I do. They’re very good but weren’t for me. The Versalex is much better. Someone else has suggested the cartridge. The Simplex will take a much better one than you might think. You could easily go to an XX2 or 17Dx and then decide if you still need to upgrade the deck.

No need to spend 5K. Trade in your 10X5 for a Dynavector DV-20X2 , a significant step up in refinement and works well on the WT Simplex, add a MCRU power supply and your deck will be very hard to beat compared with much more expensive turntables such as the higher end Regas and basic Linn combo.
Thanks. Yeah been thinking of upgrading the cart as well. Would you know if a Dynavector XX2 would fit the simplex arm? I believe you can use it with the Versalex.

Will check out the MCRU power supply.

Yes, I do. They’re very good but weren’t for me. The Versalex is much better. Someone else has suggested the cartridge. The Simplex will take a much better one than you might think. You could easily go to an XX2 or 17Dx and then decide if you still need to upgrade the deck.
Makes a lot of sense. I can just go with the XX2 for now and see how it goes. Thanks.

I have had a WT Simplex for several years and used both DV20x2L and XX2mk2, both are brilliant sounding carts but quite a bit different to one another in some ways

I have had a WT Simplex for several years and used both DV20x2L and XX2mk2, both are brilliant sounding carts but quite a bit different to one another in some ways
Ah great. Which one did you prefer and why? Which do you think is closer to the sound of the 10x5, of you have heard that?

No experience of WT decks, fair bit with Dynavectors. The XX2 is a fab cart and a good upgrade over the 10x5, not uncommon to hear folk say they prefer the 20X but I think the XX2 is worth the extra. New deck at £5K I’d choose a 1200G/XX2 or Cadenza Bronze.

No experience of WT decks, fair bit with Dynavectors. The XX2 is a fab cart and a good upgrade over the 10x5, not uncommon to hear folk say they prefer the 20X but I think the XX2 is worth the extra. New deck at £5K I’d choose a 1200G/XX2 or Cadenza Bronze.
Thank you. I will check that one out too

Thank you. I will check that one out too
You’ve an excellent phono stage that the XX2 and higher up carts will shine through. Leaves £3.5K ish for a deck, loads of choice out there new and even more if you consider ex demo/used.

I was late to the Technics decks, have had a PT 40 years and a Gyro 20 years, the 1200GR and G decks are seriously good, easy to use and fuss free setting up, from reading mags/forums over many years they appear very reliable long term with little needed maintenance wise.

I have an XX2 on the Gyro and a Bronze on the 1200G, pushed to say which I prefer, have a feeling I’d go with the 1200G/Bronze as it’s a brilliant all round package, not harsh at the top which appeals to me and great solid/stable presentation, presumably the DD Techy helps here.

Thank you I will definitely give the Technics a listen.

Does anyone have any experience with the Gold Note Mediterraneo or any of their cartridges?

In addition to a better WT deck, the P10/Alpheta 3, a Vertere of some kind and a Majik LP12 + Lingo 4 are the main contenders for me.

You might struggle to home dem an LP12 but at least your deck is easy to transport to a dealer and compare that way.

advertisement

Back