advertisement

Upgrade advice - PSU for N272 or new phono amp

I’d not doubt the abilities of the 272.

Id place a stainless steel 500 foot question mark over the abilities of the SCM40s.

No offence taken, im well aware of the subjectiveness in this hobby, I auditioned them extensively so others opinions won't sway my feelings on them.

That being said, the p3 is an excellent bit of kit so I'd be very (happily) surprised if a p8 betters it significantly.

I was very happily surprised going from P3 to P8. The P8 is a superb source, easily on a par with my NDS/Teddy Pardo XPS and XPS plus.

Better turntable with better cartridge (low output MC) then better phono stage such as the Arkless GTi which I make and then get rid of the Naim pre and replace it with something decent.

Please let us know your thoughts when you get the Pardo XPS connected. I have one powering my Naim nDAC and think it is sublime - preferred it to an XPS-DR. YMMV. But for me, it gives a substantial improvement, which is saying something as I think the nDAC excellent on its own.

Enjoy!

Thanks for advice all, managed to find a TP XPS at a good price so pulled the trigger. I suspect in another 12 months or so ill be looking at either a p8 or the successor to the 272 or maybe even an Aurelic equivalent. That being said, the p3 is an excellent bit of kit so I'd be very (happily) surprised if a p8 betters it significantly. As for the 272, id imagine the poster doubting it's abilities hasn't heard one. It's a great match with the 40s and while I have no doubt there's significant upgrade possible and audible via the 40s, I expect that only marginal gains are possible without significant spend.

Any update/feedback on that TP XPS and changes it brought in to the 272. Im in the same boat as you, debating the TP XPS, and would love to hear your thoughts

advertisement

Back