advertisement

Upgrade advice - PSU for N272 or new phono amp

DannyWin

pfm Member
Hello all, long time lurker looking for advice please.

Current system is Naim NAC-N272 into (on order, currently running a demo pair) ATC SCM40A, Rega p3 2016 with GT reference sub platter, Michell technoweight, white belt, neo psu and a dynavector 10x5 HOMC via a Rega fono mk2

Majority of listening is via upnp or tidal via the 272 but a good portion of serious listening is on the shiny stuff, hence my (sort of) predicament.

i think im almost decided that a psu will have greater overall gains for the system as a whole but wanted to gauge opinion on whether a phono pre amp upgrade would bring any significant gain. The plan eventually is to upgrade to a p8 with a apheta 3 or similar and so at that point would likely move up on phono pre amp anyway, I just want to know if an upgrade now, and to what, would give appreciable gain with my current set up to a similar or greater degree as, say, a teddy xps on the 272.

Finds of around £1000 are available so just want the best bang for buck.

Thanks in advance

Hi there and welcome.
I run a 272 with Teddy XPS and the addition of a PSU makes a big difference to its performance. I haven’t heard active ATC speakers but they are regarded as extremely capable - so they deserve the best front end you can afford.
Coincidentally I also have a Rega Fono mm Mark 2 - which I am currently selling as I have recently upgraded the phono stage to a Lehman Black Cube. The Rega is a first class entry level stage but I think you could do better. Common recommendations include Trichord ,Dynavector and Graham Slee.

I run an LP12 and the better phono stage gives more detail and quieter background.

Secondhand you may be able to upgrade both within budget.....

When I had a 272 the addition of a PSU did make for a very noticeable gain in SQ. You'd have to go TP for your budget, the Naim XPSD Dr is very costly.

Thanks both. Yes the PS I was considering is a TP one, no way I'm splurging over 4k for a naim one after parting with 8k for the ATC's, especially when my 272 is out of warranty and most accounts make the TP the equal of the xps. I haven't seen any on the classifieds for a while and I dont have the post count for a wtd ad.

Likewise with the phono pre, id be open to getting both for slightly over my budget by going s/h but would welcome some advice on what would significantly better the rega fono with my DV or indeed with a future cart, probably something like an apheta 3. I realise that limits me to a multi use stage with both mm and mc inputs.

TIA

Convention normally says source first, is you aren’t extracting the detail from source your amp can’t process it.

I’d say your phono stage is under-weight versus you deck setup, I have a Rega Fono Mk3 from an LP12 into a 272 and I am trialling the Aria

Depends what you listen to most. As you right point out - a PS will benefit all your system, whereas a decent phono stage will lift your records

I would just get a 2nd hand P8, they come up for around £1200. I wouldn’t bother going down the PSU route, I run an ATC CDA2 into active 40s, replaced a 252/SC & it sounds better to me.

I would leave the phono stage for now. The Fono is pretty decent. Better to get the right turntable first, then choose a phono stage to suit the new cartridge later.
The 272 PSU upgrade will benefit the analogue pre as well as the digital side, so I guess you should do that as a priority.

As others have said a PS upgrade will improve ALL your sources and I assume you've done that or in the process?

As you've a DV cart I would suggest a very cost effective improvement would be to replace the Fono with a Dynavector P75 (mark 1-4 as funds allow). Running the P75 in DrT mode is possible with your HOMC (someone correct me if I am wrong) and it can perform way way above it's price point.

J

True! But post No. 7 was addressed to the OP. That‘s the reason for my comment. Surely he has done a decision. Not sure if he will read this.

Yes, I just meant that somebody dithering for 2 months about a hifi upgrade without taking any action would not be terribly unusual.

Though of course you're right that there's a good chance that he has done and is no longer interested in the answers.

As you've a DV cart I would suggest a very cost effective improvement would be to replace the Fono with a Dynavector P75 (mark 1-4 as funds allow). Running the P75 in DrT mode is possible with your HOMC (someone correct me if I am wrong) and it can perform way way above it's price point.

J

You are wrong - he can not run DV 10x5 in DrT mode.

Original post is from March. I would assume the OP has made a decission.

Anyway, with 10x5 I would not upgrade phono stage, not worth it.

Agree with those who thinks a (pimped) P3 is too lowly, a P8 will be something.

As noted streaming is major source, perhaps try the new Atom HE before price rocket up.

One wonders what kind of dealer sells a pair of scm40 to go on the end of a p3 and a 272?
Hi fi plus had a review of the 272 paired with ATC SMC40 active so it’s not a as much of a mismatch as you think, I had a demo of these two and sounded great, decided not to buy the ATC due to their size. I have to agree re the P3 though.

Thanks for advice all, managed to find a TP XPS at a good price so pulled the trigger. I suspect in another 12 months or so ill be looking at either a p8 or the successor to the 272 or maybe even an Aurelic equivalent. That being said, the p3 is an excellent bit of kit so I'd be very (happily) surprised if a p8 betters it significantly. As for the 272, id imagine the poster doubting it's abilities hasn't heard one. It's a great match with the 40s and while I have no doubt there's significant upgrade possible and audible via the 40s, I expect that only marginal gains are possible without significant spend.

advertisement

Back