advertisement

Upgrade advice - do I need a pre-amp

I found a Musical First Preamp improves the sound of all my source items. I suspect it is something todo with the transformer isolating ground between source and power amp. I have used it with headphone and amplifier with a passive volume control built in and picks the sound nicely from those.

Interesting feedback folks - much appreciated. I think the theme I’m hearing is that unless I spend serious money on a DAC I’m probably wise to keep a pre-amp regardless of make chosen. Is that the concensus?

More complex than I thought. Still mulling this over & haven’t ruled out a semi static move whilst I work out how to demo some bits of equipment mentioned in this thread (I live near Wales so not near a shiny city). How stupid would the following approach be?

- Get my 52 serviced. I’m not one for dabbling in terms of modding but am curious whether it would be worth trying the serenity mod. Any view from 52 owners whether it’s a worthwhile mod? Apparently it’s fully reversible if I needed to resell.
- Get my 135’s serviced and keep them stock. Last serviced 9.5 years ago so coming due for service
- Ditch the supercap for either a teddy pardo supercap or supercap dr (I’d probably just keep the existing supercap boxed so I could sell the 52scap combo as a matched pair). Any views on which would be better between a teddy and scap dr?

Caution. The 52/ Scap is a superb pre amp. Had one and sold many years ago. Regretted and got another later newer one. 10+ years ago now. If you need a pre amp then replacing a 52 will be costly. Been thinking this recently. Replace my 52 with a band new one box unit. Chord and Hegel both at the £6k mark look interesting but I suspect I'd not notice a great difference really ? Have yet to investigate.
If your 52/sc has been left powered for many years then a service may be in order. All this aside I'm currently using a Chord TT2 ( previously Cds3) into the 52. Just brilliant. I've yet to do tt2 direct into any power amp but I do need an analogue input for a home cinema pre out.

Caution. The 52/ Scap is a superb pre amp. Had one and sold many years ago. Regretted and got another later newer one. 10+ years ago now. If you need a pre amp then replacing a 52 will be costly. Been thinking this recently. Replace my 52 with a band new one box unit. Chord and Hegel both at the £6k mark look interesting but I suspect I'd not notice a great difference really ? Have yet to investigate.
If your 52/sc has been left powered for many years then a service may be in order. All this aside I'm currently using a Chord TT2 ( previously Cds3) into the 52. Just brilliant. I've yet to do tt2 direct into any power amp but I do need an analogue input for a home cinema pre out.
My 52 is a late model pots8. Are you saying caution re: changing the supercap or changing more than that?

My 52 is a late model pots8. Are you saying caution re: changing the supercap or changing more than that?
Changing 52 and scap. Designed to be together. I'd think any thing else would just be different. Together they are fantastic. Never felt the need to investigate. Had a good few pre amps over the years. Still got Exposure 21 and 17. Also very good. The 52 is something else though. Good news is if you decide to sell you'll get a good price.

Ok. Taken a punt. Pre-loved Naim Supercap DR on its way. Let me compare the olive supercap version to the dr version and will report back on which works best with the 52. Wasn’t the direction I set upon when I started this thread but surprised by the (relativity) positivity on this forum around the 52/135 combo so might be a holding position. I’m really impressed by the diversity of equipment makes members have. Need to investigate more.

Ok. Taken a punt. Pre-loved Naim Supercap DR on its way. Let me compare the olive supercap version to the dr version and will report back on which works best with the 52. Wasn’t the direction I set upon when I started this thread but surprised by the (relativity) positivity on this forum around the 52/135 combo so might be a holding position. I’m really impressed by the diversity of equipment makes members have. Need to investigate more.
Don’t do any mods, it will destroy the value. If you want a different sound then move brands. If not stay put.

I seem to recall quite a few naim fans moving over to upper end integrateds, Accuphase for example.

In your shoes I’d stick with what you have as the speakers are not up for change.

Sit back & enjoy the music.

Decided to take the punt on the pre-loved supercap dr based on a couple of contributors reckoning it was the weak link in my system. Thought I’d compare it with the olive supercap. If I don’t like the dr I suspect I can move it on without taking a massive financial hit.Whether it’s an entirely fair comparison is another question as mŷ current olive s/cap is probably overdue for a service.

advertisement

Back