advertisement

Unusual system requirements - suggestions sought.

Johnny Blue

I made it to 'Member'!
I am posting this on behalf of an acquaintance who has some quite unusual requirements for a system for his mother. No budget is mentioned but the inclusion of the Denon gives a rough idea.

CD (is recordable CD affordable?)
Tuner
Double Cassette Deck (she needs to copy old tapes for her singing students)
Turntable
... plus inputs for other formats.

I am hoping to persuade her to do some of her own home recordings of piano accompaniments on a minidisc. She sometimes uses an old ghettoblaster, and then puts things onto CD on a machine at the school where she works.

I was thinking of buying her some kind of mini-system which has inputs for other equipment (possibly the Denon D-M38DAB), and then adding a Pioneer double cassette deck (the only one on the market), and my old but very good Thorens Turntable TD180. What she won't want is a big maze of large chunky equipment, but this may now be difficult to avoid.

Could my ideas be done better than suggested above, but still relatively on a budget, and with scope for upgrade potential?

I have already given him some suggestions, but I then realised that the breadth of knowledge here at Pink Fish could only help.

Thanks in advance.

With a bit of patience you could probably find all of the components excluding the TT in small Denon form 2nd hand and relatively inexpensively, though I think you have to go for the slightly larger 3/4 width ones rather than the half width like the DM38 to get a double tape deck. Do remember that you will probably need a phono amp - but there are plenty cheap small units that with a bit of care you could mount in or on the TD-180 to keep box count down!

Maybe try gumtree or similar for an old school music system or complete separates system. There was a sony one on here but I think it has sold.

advertisement

Back