advertisement

Universal Remote Recomendation

UKSwede

pfm Member
Any good tips for universal remote no more than £100. I have seen logitech harmony could be a candidate,but maybe there are others please advise,many thanks

I am looking into this too.

Currently using sunwave src3000. However, they are unresponsive and want something better.

Meridian msr+ is off the list as it is not properly programmable.

Current options are Philips pronto, logitech harmony, Sony's new google tv box remote and the Sony rm-vl1400t. Also looking into Android tablets with remote function like the Sony tablet s, galaxy tab 2 7.0 and moto xoom2 media edition.

I strongly recommend the Harmonys, having owned and used previously a Philips Pronto, a few One-for-All (even heavily modified with JP1 extenders and many tweaks), as well as a few more common universal / learning remotes (Rotel RR969, RR990, Sonys, etc.)

I have a stock pile of Harmony 525, which while not the best in terms of fit and finish, represented excellent value for money at £30 each.

i have owned many different universals remotes. I now have a harmony 900 more money than a One but has Red, Green, Yellow, Blue hard buttons. you can put these up on the touch screen of the One, but I managed to get a 900 off ebay for One price, so I was happy. If looking to really keep costs down look out for a second hand 885 harmony, same features just no touch screen and a little old style in the looks department. They all just work a treat for TV/DVD/CD/Amp/DAC style control

I have a One For All Smart Control remote. If you're interested in cheap and simple, it's worth a look. I bought it because I didn't need many of the features of the Harmony remotes and I thought this one was better looking.

To echo everybody else, logitech harmony -- been using them for about 8 years now, and nothing else is as easy to set up and use.

As long as you don't need very complicated macros, and you're ok replacing it every few years (mine seem to survive for about 3 years each, by which time newer models have been released anyway), then I think it's the best choice.

Like everyone else I'd recommend a Logitech Harmony One. The software is easy to use and programming it is very straightforward. I also bought a couple for my brother who has a severe disability and the settings can be remarkably granular when you dig into it, we have set up a lot of quite complex automation just through these remotes and the whole family find them easy to use.

£100+ is a lot of money but never come across anything better.

Been thinking about this for a while.

I have the Harmony 525 and it works OK but the screen is hard to read. I was looking at the top end Harmonys but think I may now get the new Sony Experia notepad since it has a built in IR transmitter and TV remote control software. It even lets you build macros so you can control multiple devices at once.

More study is required as it has not been released here yet but it looks like being cheaper than getting a top end Harmony plus it gives yo uthe ability to surf the net during the adds.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/29/3276373/sonys-xperia-tablet-s

I doubt it wil have access to a device database like the harmonies so a bit of remote to remote learning will be required.

Steve

Definitely concur with what has been said about the Harmony's. I started out with a 525 (2nd hand), then 885 (2nd hand) and now onto a 900 (new). The 885 died, buttons started to fail, but Logitech offered me half off a new remote as good will!

Apparently this is quite common - they then blacklist the old remote so it can't be updated via software, thus keeping knackered remotes out of the second hand market, protecting their rep, keeps existing customers happy and remaining in the Logitech family.

Either way I got a 900 for around a £100 and it's top stuff. The RF system is great; or stuff out of sight and not having to actually point the remote at stuff whilst it turns everything on, which can take a few seconds - thus rarely do any devices get missed.

advertisement

Back