advertisement

Uniti 2 or Uniti Star

Monster moo

I’m currently using a Unitiqute 2 with mkII SBL’s and whilst it sounds great at levels up to 30 ish, the sound can get a bit hard edged.

I’m thinking that the little UQ amp could be the problem.

We mainly listen to internet radio but also like to listen to CD’s occasionally and so I’ve been considering a Uniti 2 or possibly Uniti Star.

I have tried CD’s through my Blu-ray player into the UQ2 but it sounds awful.

Any thoughts comparing the two Naim offerings?

I am not subscribed to any streaming music service at the moment.

the start will give you access to all the recent streaming platforms if you decide to go that way... I have not owned a start but have compared it to a nova (which i bought) but its very capable.

I would say the amp in the Statr is broadly the equivalent of a Nait5si.
One thing to bear in mind is that the cd mech in the Star seems to be designed for ripping to an HD rather than primarily just playing a cd. The logic & Controls are a bit slower than on a stand alone cdp, eg you press to stop/ eject a disc & it seems to take a few seconds before much happen & you wonder if you’ve pressed the right button.
Not a big deal once you’re used to it & the controls but it can catch out a new user.
Other than that, it’s a very good one box solution.
Whether it’s a smoother sound than your existing Naim at higher volumes will need a demo to decide. I never found SBL’s to be the smoothest of speakers even though I did like them.

I’m currently using a Unitiqute 2 with mkII SBL’s and whilst it sounds great at levels up to 30 ish, the sound can get a bit hard edged.

I’m thinking that the little UQ amp could be the problem.

We mainly listen to internet radio but also like to listen to CD’s occasionally and so I’ve been considering a Uniti 2 or possibly Uniti Star.

I have tried CD’s through my Blu-ray player into the UQ2 but it sounds awful.

Any thoughts comparing the two Naim offerings?

I am not subscribed to any streaming music service at the moment.
Use the UQ2 as a tuner/streamer/pre-amp with an external power amp. Add a Wiim or similar if you need a more modern streamer. Cheaper than switching. Of course, the box count will be higher, not sure if that matters to you.

One problem is, I’d like to stick with a 1-box solution ideally (aside from the addition of a TT perhaps in the future)

Understood, but the amps - unless Class D - in all -in -ones may not have sufficient power. You can always hide a power amp in a cabinet and cover the streamer with a small decorative cloth..

advertisement

Back