advertisement

Unipivot arms - which one and what are the benefits?

Mike its the original LP, its the top of the tree, ruby coil former, boron pipe, gyger s tip. The lp-s is the current version, same guts just a heavier frame under the ebony body. Not needed on a 12" arm. Its eight years old now. Tie wire defo needs adjusting, ill inspect the stylus this weekend.

Mike its the original LP, its the top of the tree

I stand corrected, Simon. Didn't know the line-up from the past, but there are just so many variants in the Benz chain. I had a job identifying which was which a few years ago (from the markings on the front). The LP-S is, I'm told, a tweaked version of my Ebony (and Ruby et al in that price ball-park) and with, as you say, the heavy mod.

About the only caveat I have with Benz cart's is that the styli are all glued; no slots or crimps. I was told that the stylus is glued on initially with a flexible compound to enable accurate orientation, then finally glued in place. Other upper end cart's tend to be slotted and glued (K, Lyra etc.), I gather. When I got my Ebony, I couldn't understand the amount of encrusted gunk at the stylus/cantilever interface compared to the Lyras, Roksan, Linn and Koetsus etc. I have or I'd had . It was simply glue. Lovely cart; very slightly on the warm side of neutral and dynamic.

However sophisticated and sonically excellent digital gets, I for one will always be absorbed in the world of the miraculous and diminutive transducer which has not only prevailed but improved these last 70 odd years, at least in its moving coil guise.

Who would you trust with repair? Goldring perhaps? Or would you trade in for new?

I've never had he same cart. twice, although the Helikon following the Clavis was close, but that's just me. Trading up gives you the presentation you're used to with an improvement in s.q. (well, that's the theory !) but changing horses, assuming you've done your arm/cart./stage compatibility research, can give you a whole new musical vista. Of course, a new cart. needs breaking in but at least, if you're diligent, you'll know how many hours it's done etc.

I have no experience of re-tipping or refurbishment. Koetsu only retain the shell, but that may be just convenience and marketing because of the legendary longevity of their styli. Goldring seems to constantly be recommended on this and other forums whereas others have the occasional caveat.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the current range of Audionote tonearms, described as "captured unipvot". Has anyone here had one? What do you think of it? I've seen some positive reviews and they look very nice.

I've got an Arm Two/II and i like it a lot. I don't find it as good as the SME 309 personally, but it's still an excellent arm.

Sorry Mike but even though I can afford it I think any more than a grand on a moving coil cartridge is bloody ridiculous. I also believe in repair rather than replace if possible providing the results are acceptable of course.

Sorry Mike but even though I can afford it I think any more than a grand on a moving coil cartridge is bloody ridiculous.

About as ridiculous as buying anything other than a practical motor; or camera; or...... One cuts one's coat according to one's cloth and each to his own, Chops. Of course, it's a bit pointless spending thousands on a top cart. if you've only got a bread and butter arm; or deck, come to that. I might be tempted to send my Proteus to Goldring, e.g., when the time comes, but only because Transfiguration is no more. Such a shame.

Last edited:
Mike AOTBE I'd always take a nude shanked stylus wherever possible. I may even consider a complete stylus and gemstone canti swap if its possible on the LP.

I thought the origin of Soton was that on road markings and some road signs Southampton was abbreviated to So'ton to save space.

Quite so, Steve, as I pointed out where it was evident up-post. Not sure I remember an apostrophe but it's a long time since I used to travel to those parts. From that, it became a colloquialism, though not a widely used one, methinks.

ISTR that at least some of the good burgers of Uttoxeter used to shorten it to 'Uxter'.. And who can blame them?

I don't think anyone has mentioned the current range of Audionote tonearms, described as "captured unipvot". Has anyone here had one? What do you think of it? I've seen some positive reviews and they look very nice.

I had V2 One, I stand alone in that I didn't like it and moved it on. Thought it was me so took it to a friends and did a mini bake-off with AO RB250, Tabriz and Audiomods V. It was the worst in that company, I describe it as Zingy. I did hear there was some variability from one to another, but I haven't had another.

The captured ball is similar to TT bearing, tight fitting sleeve sat on a ball bearing.

Beautifully made, I've had the Helius Scorpio and apart from the design were worlds apart.

advertisement

Back