advertisement

Uneven length Speaker Cable

If you measure power output for both channels in a stereo source, preamplifier and amplifier, there may be way more variation between channels compared to variations caused by unequal length of speaker wires.

But: would you be happy if your barber cut your hair drastically shorter on one side to the other?...
Just a thought to ponder

But: would you be happy if your barber cut your hair drastically shorter on one side to the other?...

[omg]
phil-hair-1-300x225.jpg
[/omg]

The difference is more likely to be in the tone density, texture and timbre of the music, creating aberrations from one channel to the other (where there is a short and long cables). Thats if your speakers sensitive enough, anything less than 95dB and you wont hear it.

WTF is "tone density, texture and timbre of the music"!!?

Meaningless.

Chris

The best reason for speaker cables of the same length is that they are easy to sell in the future.

That of course is on the assumption you are the sort of person that buys and sells these type of things.

If you use very thin Bell wire for speaker wire [which I quite like] The difference in resistance could affect the bass behaviour slightly. With normal heavy cables I would say inaudible and way less than the tolerance of speaker parts anyway.

Perceived wisdom tells us that they should be of equal length but does it really make a difference?

Is the transmission speed so fast as to make any cable length negligible?

How is the cable LRC affected - is it measureable? is it audible?

How much of "they must be equal" is a marketing ploy to generate sales?

Any experience greatly appreciated

I would expect this to be one of those "Polar" discussions :rolleyes:

A summary of the responses are:

Transmission speed negligible.
Unlikely to make a difference electrically
Easier to re-sell a same length pair
Is it a marketing ploy - Probably...

I experimented with moving my speakers at Christmas one being 8 metres and the other 4 metres from the amps. To make up the longer length I needed I twisted together two 4 metre lengths of exposure and taped it. Because the exposure cable only had plugs at the amp end one length had to be in opposite directionality. So I have a jury rigged 8m length of Exposure one side and 4m of Naim the other. Sounds great.

I experimented with moving my speakers at Christmas one being 8 metres and the other 4 metres from the amps. To make up the longer length I needed I twisted together two 4 metre lengths of exposure and taped it. Because the exposure cable only had plugs at the amp end one length had to be in opposite directionality. So I have a jury rigged 8m length of Exposure one side and 4m of Naim the other. Sounds great.

You will roast in hell.

advertisement

Back