advertisement

Underfloor heating and speakers

If you need to cool them down further…

ICE-power CLASS-D amp to the rescue! :D

I’ve had underfloor (water) low temperature heating for 30 years. No problem at all with any speakers or with the piano for that matter!
No spikes or stands anywhere. Speakers directly on the floor.

No chance! Get the job done as fast as possible, get the money and move on to the next job is the general rule of play. Some of the cost cutting and shoddiness I've seen was almost beyond belief. The subject is a thread in itself but no, I don't think 93% of tradesmen are good. Not these days. Finding a decent tradesman is hard.
Sorry OT, but I have to agree. I bought a new build, gee, so sloppily put together, terrible quality. The snagger found empty beer cans in the house loft :(.

Sorry OT, but I have to agree. I bought a new build, gee, so sloppily put together, terrible quality.

I wouldn't buy a new build house. The house builder subcontracts all the work then the subcontractor brings in guys to do the work who are getting paid for completion of the job, not their time. So there is no incentive to do it right, just do it fast, get paid and move on to the next job. As long as the work gets past, in other words as long as your shite doesn't get found until you've got the money and shot out of the gate, they're happy.

Worst I've seen? Possibly a small sink where they put the waste pipe through the hole in the wall but did not fit any pipework inside the wall! So when you drained the sink the water just poured inside the wall. Guttering downpipes not connected to drains. Not bothering to tighten the toilet handle arm to the shaft, a two second job, so eventually it falls off and the toilet stops working. The list goes on and on.

I wouldn't buy a new build house. The house builder subcontracts all the work then the subcontractor brings in guys to do the work who are getting paid for completion of the job, not their time. So there is no incentive to do it right, just do it fast, get paid and move on to the next job. As long as the work gets past, in other words as long as your shite doesn't get found until you've got the money and shot out of the gate, they're happy.

Worst I've seen? Possibly a small sink where they put the waste pipe through the hole in the wall but did not fit any pipework inside the wall! So when you drained the sink the water just poured inside the wall. Guttering downpipes not connected to drains. Not bothering to tighten the toilet handle arm to the shaft, a two second job, so eventually it falls off and the toilet stops working. The list goes on and on.

A mate bought a new build recently - he's got a snagging list of about EIGHTY issues. Some not particularly worrying, like loose fittings in the bathroom, but still, if you've just paid over half a million quid, it would be nice if the place was finished when you moved in. One particular issue he has is the grass not growing in the garden; turns out the builders just buried a load of rubble in the garden, which is affecting the grass. Their 'fix' was to just relay the grass, which of course doesn't take to the crappy soil. They've done that twice now.

Back on topic, my floorstanders have been completely unaffected by our UFH system. I really don't think there's anything to be too concerned about if you have a water-based UFH system.

A mate bought a new build recently - he's got a snagging list of about EIGHTY issues.

Some house builders are decent but in most cases when you buy a more expensive house it just means bigger and/or in a more expensive area. The quality isn't any better.

advertisement

Back