advertisement

Unbelievable!!! - Just incredible!! Try this..

Linnik

Flat Earth - Source First
This DIY I mean.

You know....

I have bought those old tuners but actually never connected them
before selling out... Just working on my basics.. And listening to LPs and CDs.

But now. I had bought a very cheap Yamaha CTV-1.
I think it is one of the cheaps. But it is a high black box with handles. Then I bought a Creek. The oldest model.

On comparison, I decided to sell the Creek to my friend who had been after it for long time. It was too expensive for me to keep for a radio, I thought. With the postage from U.K. I had paid gold for it.

Nothing bad to say about it but Yamaha gave much better tune in bass. Yes, I really said TUNE! In base, yes. In treble Creek was a bit clearer and silky.

BUT.... I had something in my mind.......... ;)

AND.... now I have done it.

There was one 1000 uF cap for filtering after a small t-former.
Well, I did not have suitable t-formers but I did put a proper fast recovery rectification there. Then a 10 000 uF cap. Then a regulator with 1086CT reg and a voltage reference.

AND... I did change one short all the electrolytes. Some of them for tants and some for MKPs or something yellow tube likes as I did not have values for normal lytes.

Did it sound? No. :(

I played one night and one day with it as it just brummed.
After all one more short ground wire made it and it started to sing.

And how it sings?!!!! You bet!! Just fantastic!!
After some low level listening it feels like I had one naim box more into my system. So you understand.

I am totally converted to DIY.

After a week for baking in I will propably have one of the best sounding tuners around and what did I pay for it? Say... 10 quid or so. Plus some parts. Shit it is night now. Tomorrow I'll listen some radio! :p

Try a tuner DIY pal!!

Oz

What I a bit expected...

I need a bigger transformer. To avoid flames I have to limit my listenings into 3 minute periods....

A bit slow burn in method.. Or fast for total burn out...

But what I can tell - perferct grip in bass/tune!
TOTAL silence in the background in stereo receive. :D

Oz

advertisement

Back