advertisement

Ultra Wide angle and filters

Mark LJ

pfm Member
Purchased a Sigma 10-20mm lens recently which is more than a touch too wide for my Cokin P-Series filters. I can use it down to about 12/13mm but after that the holder comes into shot.

Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a filter series that work well with a wide angle lens. Lee seem to get a nice write up - main use is really just ND grads and probably reverse grads as well for landscape use.

I've also been slightly disappointed with the colour cast from the Cokins in low light conditions.

The Lee filters are reckoned by all the experts on the LF forums to be the most neutral, and they do wide angle holders if you need one. However they are expensive and they do have a waiting list. They are also reputed to go off after a few years and need replacing - apparently Lee will re-dip but I don't know how much cheaper that works out.

I have a set of hard grads but I've only used them a couple of times - they seem neutral to me.

If you want to buy Lee, you might want to join the UK LF forum and buy them through Joanna Carter at a discount. I reckon you should be lugging a proper camera up those hills anyway!

Cheers Patrick - I'll have a look at the LF forum. The photography bug has well and truly bitten me so I think the Lees are the only long term option.

Its bad enough carrying a Digital SLR, variety of lens and a big tripod (and food and drink) over a dozen miles or so of hills, without lugging one of them big buggers round :)

Maybe you should have a look at the LF courses Tim Parkin has just started doing? They supply everything and you get a chance to have a go. I don't know Tim, but he seems like a good guy - enthusiastic about LF and about the kind of photography you seem to be doing.

I've just had a look at Tims work. Superb and exactly the type of images I'd aspire to take.

What are the advantages to a large format camera?

advertisement

Back