advertisement

Ukraine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is form for Lavrov. I don't think he's ever uttered a truthful word since he oozed onto the scene of Russian politics. Lying and projection have been his (and Putin's) modus operandi for as far back as I can remember. See also Trump.

Russia now banning some food exports https://www.reuters.com/business/ru...auto-agricultural-equipment-until-2022-03-10/

No sure if they'd turn off gas/oil to Europe, but we may find it will increasingly be threatened.
Lavrov’s language was unusually puerile and also sounded defeatist. I wonder if he’s seen the West’s collective wrecking ball taken to his personal assets and those of his friends and been saddened by his losses? The disturbing corollary is they may feel they’ve now got nothing to lose.

For the domestic audience, for when he asks them “do you want war, do you want total war?”.

He's also getting in the talking points for the RT human bots to amplify. "The war isn't really happening", "The West is just as bad/worse", "Putin is fighting the New World Order", etc. Pick whatever s**t appeals and spray it all over the internet.

He's also getting in the talking points for the RT human bots to amplify. "The war isn't really happening", "The West is just as bad/worse", "Putin is fighting the New World Order", etc. Pick whatever s**t appeals and spray it all over the internet.
He can always come to the negotiating table, not the pretend one and bring the Tsar with him….”this could all be over very quickly”.

I’m not saying it wasn’t corrupt, just how corrupt is it compared to what goes on in our own country?

2008? The issuing of corrupt loans designed to fail by a banking network and then that same banking network that was betting on those loans failing? Then bailing out the gamblers that made those bets?
I wouldn't express it those terms, but I can see your point.

As a non-expert, my view is that the 1996 election was the pivotal mistake when it comes to what we are seeing now. The Wikipedia page on the loans for shares scheme suggests that the scheme was overseen by the US, via Anatoly Chubais and USAID.

My takeaway is that the US made a massive strategic error. Nominally, in order to put down a return to communism, the US was installing free market capitalism and democracy. Perhaps things had gone too far off-course before this point for a better path to be found, but the US's actions in 1995-6 were too quick and dirty, too corrupt. By supporting free market capitalism via the loans for shares scheme, the US hung democracy out to dry. It ensured that the 1996 election would be corrupt, which ultimately meant no democracy at all.

Thanks. The first half at least reinforces something which came up here before -- that you can't make the assumption that people in a war context are acting as informed rational agents trying to get the best results they can. I also was glad to hear his (brief) discussion of the nuclear threat.

I haven't heard the second half.

Interesting article on Ukraine's notorious neo-nazi Azov regiment.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/3/1/who-are-the-azov-regiment

I'm surprised by Facebook's decision to temporarily lift their ban on discussing them, specifically so they can be praised as defenders of Ukraine.

“For the time being, we are making a narrow exception for praise of the Azov regiment strictly in the context of defending Ukraine, or in their role as part of the Ukraine national guard”

Yes it was. Why cant these guys actually be "in power"!

They are experts and people are apparently sick of them. Also dude admitted he got some stuff wrong which is essential for an academic but would never work for a politician.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back