advertisement

UK interest rates rise to the highest since 2009

There may not be a strong correlation, but I would argue that low interest rates ENABLE house price inflation. Other factors clearly at play (population growth vs house building, second homes).

The only people that I know who own or are buying more than one property, are renting any that they do not live in. Because? Property price inflation is attractive, and interest rates are low. I would wager that far more people own more than one property for these reasons than any other, UK-wide. Property prices in quaint villages may have soared due to holiday homes and lets, but that is insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

Population growth is swamped by the effect that far more people live alone. Because? They can afford to.

..the great majority of UK mortgages are now fixed rate, or at least not floating, so increased interest rates will take an age to affect the spending of very many people. Over 90% of personal/private debt in the UK is property/mortgage debt.

Apart from interest rate changes, and unacceptably draconian fiscal manipulation, what else would reduce inflation?

The effect you have in mind (bigger mortgage repayments eating up money so that it now cannot be spent on other stuff) is actually ignored in monetarist thinking and not the reason they raise interest rates to limit inflation.

For monetarists it's all about new borrowing. New money is created when people borrow and cancelled again when they repay. This bit is actually fact, money doesn't forever go in circles.

The monetarist theory bit posits that if new borrowing grows faster than debt is repaid the economy will expand because there's more money around (or inflation will if the economy can't). If repayments exceed new borrowing the reverse will happen : and the economy will be reluctant to shrink (they hope) so prices will fall. It follows all you need to do is tweak the price of new borrowing to keep everything in good order.

It dovetails neatly with so called "supply side" economics that posits the limits to growth (without inflation) is set by the rate companies can expand production. So remove all "constraints" to that (regulation, trade barriers, unions and so forth) and we might have fast inflation free growth.

Obviously this was always ridiculously simplistic, naive and at times even completely wrong even before globalisation. And needless to say none of it works even in simplistic theory with housing or finite raw materials which by nature and by human design are or can be supply constrained.

Mortgages aren’t the only type of loan. Anyone using credit will find themselves squeezed by an interest rate hike, with resulting reduction in demand, which should effect prices by encouraging suppliers to reduce their margins. There’s a lot of consumer credit in the UK post covid.

Cheap money has affected asset values and put up the cost of housing which disproportionately hurts the less well off.
Sorry, but on the cost of housing it is not the case that low interest rates have put up the cost of housing. House prices have risen in times of high interest rates more than they have in times of low interest rates. The less well off have been disproportionately hurt in the housing market because the better off have inflated house prices by buying multiple houses.
https://flic.kr/p/2niBxnD
52051499563_1ac6e575b4_w.jpg

In addition, those less well off will be hit by rent rises and when fixed term deals end, mortgage repayments.

Not sure what you mean as asset values as distinct from house prices, but most financial assets will obviously increase in value with interest rates.

The bottom line is that interest rates are regressive in that they tend to benefit the lender, who are better off, at the expense of borrowers, who tend to less well off.

I’m still left wondering how increased interest rates will help the less well off.

Mortgages aren’t the only type of loan. Anyone using credit will find themselves squeezed by an interest rate hike, with resulting reduction in demand, which should effect prices by encouraging suppliers to reduce their margins. There’s a lot of consumer credit in the UK post covid.
Our current inflation is caused by cost push, not demand pull, so to apply a demand solution to a cost problem shows a lack of understanding of the problem and can only produce, at best, an ineffective solution

There may not be a strong correlation, but I would argue that low interest rates ENABLE house price inflation. Other factors clearly at play (population growth vs house building, second homes).
Yes, I think your first sentence is about right - low interest rates can enable house price inflation, but demand can outstrip supply for many other reasons.

In the case of UK, house price inflation began to outstrip the rate of wage inflation between 1996 and 1998 (see graph in this New Statesman article) and has continued to do so, except for a slight correction in 2008. The Interest rate in June 1998 was 7.5% and it didn't fall below 5% until August 2001. Low interest rates don't seem to have caused the UK house price inflation in that period.

There is no correlation. House price have risen faster at time of higher interest rates and slower during ZIRP

I’m still left wondering how increased interest rates will help the less well off.

It won't. It will squeeze their wages, compound their pay day loans, push up their rents (or their huge non fixed FTB mortgages) and make their housing situation even more unstable as flighty/highly leveraged landlords either up and sell or seek better off tenants to exploit.

Unable to post this in the other thread apparently.

One of the many causes of house price inflation but a major one imo is simply a lack of houses. We need to start correcting the situation by building more homes, however, a comprehensive and thought through policy is needed rather than people banging on about their pet agenda of the moment.

Unable to post this in the other thread apparently.

One of the many causes of house price inflation but a major one imo is simply a lack of houses. We need to start correcting the situation by building more homes, however, a comprehensive and thought through policy is needed rather than people banging on about their pet agenda of the moment.
Apparently there are some 600,000 vacant homes in England alone. Wouldn't it be sensible to get those occupied?

Of course many people are picky.................

Cheers,

DV

Apart from 2008, it shows that house prices have risen during times of high interest rates and low interest rates.

During high rates in the 90's my house dropped in value by ~30%. Couldn't get anyone through the door to even look at it, I guess you'll ignore that, though. Doesn't fit the narrative. I'll give you figures if you don't believe me.

Apparently there are some 600,000 vacant homes in England alone. Wouldn't it be sensible to get those occupied?

Depends. Are they perhaps vacant because their owners have priced them too highly? Because they are unfit for human habitation? Because they are in a high crime/low employment area? It also depends on whether those without homes possess the wherewithal for a deposit and mortgage payments on these properties.

It's like saying 'Oh look, there's x number of vacancies, so no-one need be unemployed' without factoring in the level of skill required, the location of the vacancies and availability of accommodation in the area, and whether the vacancy would provide sufficient income to support a family.

advertisement

Back