advertisement

UK and Europe HackerNAP Transformer GB Interest Check

Upon further consideration I will be going for this case (or 400mm version). Ideally I would like a true monoblock and have two cases but I may go for dual mono in one case as it seems it might all fit in.

The Pesante dissipante has the heat sinks included and has the ally panels as well as that gorgeous 10mm front panel. I also love their chunky handles

Cheers

Gareth

Upon further consideration I will be going for this case (or 400mm version).

Funny, that's the case I just ordered at the beginning of the week. Get your orders in before there's a run! ;) Or at least before Italy goes on holiday.

How are you thinking of attaching the output transistors to the heat sinks? I'm considering an intermediate copper plate with a groove to affix the PCB. It needs to be easy to take in and out as components get swapped.

I've spoken to Terry. Very nice man. We have spoken extensively today and come up with an alternative (I call it option 1A)
Type no: HN5
Power rating: 812VA
Primary: 0-240V @ 50Hz (14AWG flex)
Electrostatic screen
Secondaries: 2 x 35-0-35V @ 5A rms + 2 x 40-0-40V @ 0.7A rms (16AWG flex)
GOSS band
Regulation: approx 5%
Estimated dimensions: 165 x 79mm (max 80mm) away from leadouts
Mounting: central M8 x 30mm threaded insert in a potted centre
Audio grade construction

Its a bit more than the cost of the option 1 and gives me two complete and seperate 350VA output supplies, as well as the input supplies. It is a little close in size for an 80mm pesante case, but Terry is going to try and carefully pot it to reduce height a bit so it can fit in the 80 high case with a rubber or foam spacer at the top as well as the bottom.

I reckon although its tight I can make two mono amps within one case. Well I'm going to try anyway.

Dave

The HN5 transformer -
I have talked to Terry about the size of the tails - and we talked about reducing the wire diameters for the main output supplies - because as far as Terry and I can see - 2.5mm wire isnt necessary - they are short runs anyway. So this now makes a very reasonable twin mono power source. Very cost effective.
Speak to Terry - it may not be for you !

I must start ordering parts for the boards now. The big problem is a choice of caps for the input power boards to reduce the overall height so I can stack the power boards and fit in (hopefully) an 80 high case.

Terry will supply me with a neoprene sheet for top and bottom so the transformer is sandwiched between the case top and bottom, and protected against chafing. We have reduced the overall height by using 1.5mm tails and probably the final casing will be a final hand tape using black acetate silk tape rather than the opaque Mylar. The height includes the bottom neoprene sheet, and we have reduced the height slightly over the height above.

I think this will work for me and I'm going to give it a go!
Dave

The Hn5 transformer
Saving about 25% in cost over two single mono's. Which adds up when you are driving an active system like me, and need minimum of 4 monos!
Speak to Terry.

Terry believes I will be able to fit in an 80 high case - I will keep my fingers crossed and wait to see.
Dave

My HN5 transformer has arrived, and as placed in a HackerNAP Duo Mono configeration.

DSCF1558.jpg

Fantastic effort by Terry. I am really pleased. Advice and help as well as product - excellent.

Dave

Hi All

Just a reminder for any newcomers that there is a GB for these transformers by Canterbury Windings. Terry will also customise (to a point) requests for the discounted price. Just drop Terry an email or phone call referencing the transformer spec you are interested in and away you go.

I know these are not cheap options but the majority of people - when polled - wanted a top quality transformer and the quality is incredible. Bemused has already fired up his system based on these and I am sure given the number of GB's in place there will be a several more.

Cheers

Gareth

My HN5 transformer has arrived, and as placed in a HackerNAP Duo Mono configeration.

DSCF1558.jpg

Fantastic effort by Terry. I am really pleased. Advice and help as well as product - excellent.

Dave

Dave,

What sort of case is that? I'm on the verge of ordering my trafos and I'm concerned about getting a case that will support their weight without bending / buckling.

What are others using for their HackerNAP builds?

Paul

Paul, it looks like Dave is using one of Modushop's cases. You will have to decide on the best height for you but generally most are using the 2U pesante range. In the pic above the case has aluminium covers with 10MM front panel:

http://www.modushop.biz/ecommerce/cat072_l2.php?n=1

Dissipante are good with the extra heatsinks:

http://www.modushop.biz/ecommerce/cat077_l2.php?n=1

There was some concern over the aluminium panels bowing. I have used the standard steel housing for my NCC build and it is very sturdy indeed:

http://s779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/RichLund/NCC200/?action=view&current=IMG_2018.jpg&newest=1

There was some concern over the aluminium panels bowing. I have used the standard steel housing for my NCC build and it is very sturdy indeed:

I have the ally cased Pesante and there is no bowing at all even with two 6Kg traffos fitted.

Cheers

Gareth

Spoke to Terry today,he was a bit concerned he was going to get a large order when the group buys come to fruition so lead times might take a hammering,best start ordering now if you're interested.:)
Cheers
Rob

Hi Chaps

As you start getting your components and Caps soon, please spare a thought for Terry at Canterbury and try not to order all the traffo's at the same time, or at least expect some delay if there is a big surge.

That said, Terry is standing by for you all, custom requests doen for the same price (within reason)

Cheers

Gareth

Not specially I would have thought. The ripple is dealt with by the CAP boards and the TX just needs to be able to supply the Caps with enough current even if drained by a large transient. That said, there are some on here who vote for going big - mind you 900va is pretty big for a 90W (or thereabouts) per channel amp.

Wondered about this myself for a while, in fact if going active one might put the bigger TX just on bass?

However, my question, and maybe it ought to be modelled using something like Duncans PSU thing / spice.

IF using a larger TX could one use less, perhaps fancy high spec caps and get the same or better quality of PS? For example the larger transformer would be lower impedance (although getting less beneficial after say 500VA)

Could someone model a transient on 300VA with a cap6 with 6 x 6800uf, versus say 500 and 900va. I dont know how hard it would be to do.

advertisement

Back