advertisement

UB40

Like others I have a soft spot for Signing Off. I'm intrigued by the variants of it that were released - In Aust the vinyl came with a 12" 33, a 12" 45 and a 7"inch 45, in other areas just 2 12" discs 33 & 45, etc. What was released where?

regards,

Giles

I was unaware of that and can't find any reference to a 7" over on Discogs.com. I've only ever seen the LP + 3 track 12" 45 format. It is a tough find second hand too, I hardly ever see playable copies when I'm out and about.

Hi Tony,

It was apparently an Australia only release. The 7" contains Earth Dies Screaming & Dream a lie. You can see my initial query, given that Discogs doesn't acknowledge this release (curiously Wikipedia does). Mine is in mint condition!

regards,

Giles

I was listening to a lot of Reggae when UB40 appeared so they didn't make much of an impression. But it was really Ali Campbell's extremely nasally voice that really put me off.

I bought Signing Off when first released, gave it a couple of plays and gave it to a mucker.
It added nothing to reggae that already existed.

I think you are missing the point. It wasn't meant to be an attempt to join the Reggae scene that already existed nor an attempt to match the output of the Reggae greats. More it was an attack on the half-destroyed wasteland of Thatcher's Britain by kids from a multicultural society that used the musical influences they knew and heard in their neighbourhood to express their politics. Not dissimilar from what the Pogues did with Irish folk music.

Oh, and also most of their output after Signing Off was garbage, although I have to admit quite liking the Until My Dying Day single from the mid 1990s.

All I can say is it was one of my favourite albums of that era and sits alongside Joy Division, OMD, Teardrop Explodes, Echo And The Bunnymen, Young Marble Giants, Gang Of Four, Dalek I, Cure etc etc as what I was listening to in 1980 and has never strayed too far from my 'in rotation' pile ever since. I never consider a system properly installed until it plays that one right either, it is an amazing recording. I've no idea what coming to it now would be like, it is just too ingrained into my life to make a call on that.

I think you are missing the point. It wasn't meant to be an attempt to join the Reggae scene that already existed nor an attempt to match the output of the Reggae greats. More it was an attack on the half-destroyed wasteland of Thatcher's Britain by kids from a multicultural society that used the musical influences they knew and heard in their neighbourhood to express their politics. Not dissimilar from what the Pogues did with Irish folk music.

Oh, and also most of their output after Signing Off was garbage, although I have to admit quite liking the Until My Dying Day single from the mid 1990s.

I had been listening to, and still do, Burning Spear some years prior to Signing Off and maybe that tainted my views. For me it still sounds like one song from end to end and is devoid of emotion, almost like a dirge.

I can agree about the Pogues, but the point being they attracted a lot of young (flag waving) Irish to their early concerts, whereas I do not think many blacks attended UB40 concerts although I feel sure they would also have appreciated the lyrical content only.

Each to our own

Bloss

Not dissimilar from what the Pogues did with Irish folk music.

I disagree. The Pogues took IFM and combined it with punk to create something new.

UB40 took reggae and played it. Nothing new, and a bit dull/regatta de blank imo.

I had been listening to, and still do, Burning Spear some years prior to Signing Off and maybe that tainted my views.

Like you I still listen to Winston Rodney which remains the pinnacle of 70s Reggae. Sphere has a spirituality not often found in popular music.

Just spinning Present Arms as I've not played it in many, many years. It is a distinct step down from the truly wonderful Signing Off IMO (which I still play regularly), it just doesn't have the same life or swing somehow. There are some great songs for sure, but the band don't seem to be having anything like the same fun with it. I've never actually heard the 'In Dub' remix album, is that any better?

To answer an old question (albeit in a ressurected thread) I can't really give a comparison, as I've only heard Present Arms once...I always disliked UB40 quite intensely as I grew up hearing Red Red Wine etc everywhere. A few years ago my other half played me Present Arms in Dub and that changed my opinion of UB40 on the spot. (really like Signing Off too)

So yeah, IMO the dub version is a fantastic album and definitely worth acquiring (it's a very impressive sounding / nicely cut record too) - it's got great solid grooves and lovely chugging basslines all the way through without descending into overindulgent knob twiddling noises (as dub can all too easily). As a dub album I absolutely love it but I don't know how it would sound to someone who is already much more familiar with the same melodies from the original Present Arms...

PS: Anyone knows any other Dub albums similar to "....in Dub" please let me know!

Taster....

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar vibe and era recommendations from me would be Ruts DC - Rhythm Collision, and Aswad - New Chapter In Dub.

Here's a nice little tune about your favourite person, Mrs Thatcher:

[youtube]cC-rdaat9HI[/youtube]

Stick with it until the dub section which kicks in half way through, at that point it just takes off! An amazing record IMO (this was a 12" single packaged with the Signing Off LP).

For. A Margaret Thatcher related track I love Stand Down Margaret by The Beat . Often comes with the song Best Friend which is a great upbeat song

I suspect Ali's comments regarding the first album should be viewed in light of the bitter split later. It has a feel, swing, purpose and conviction they never in any form came even close to recapturing later. One of those bands where one really can stop after the debut album and surounding singles, though Present Arms has some moments too. Signing Off really is a classic album IMHO, a high-watermark of the early '80s.

I agree - but agree too that Earht Dies Screaming and Dream A Lie are super too. I also like Don't Slow Down/Don't Let it Pass You By 12"

I have a dutch import called more ub40 music, its basically signing off but with only 3 tracks per side and a 12 inch version at the end so 12 inch I think its going to rain today,my way of thinking ,dream a lie and the earth dies screaming oh plus reefer madness and strange fruit.
Its a great double album and sounds amazing.

Signing off is a great album IMO and I speak as a big fan of Burning Spear; 'Hail HIM' being my favourite reggae album of all time.

advertisement

Back