advertisement

Two mono NAP110 better sounding than CB NAP160?

When making a pair of 110 monos, could you use the removed boards to make up another pair of 110 monos? I know then transformers would probably not match the originals, but does the 110 magic come from the amp boards?

When making a pair of 110 monos, could you use the removed boards to make up another pair of 110 monos? I know then transformers would probably not match the originals, but does the 110 magic come from the amp boards?

IME it is possible to make a very good sounding amp using those spare boards. Years ago when I had 110 monos I made up a 110 'clone amp' for my son, using the spare boards and a slightly larger transformer and enclosed them in a home-made case (formed with thick copper sheet from an old (heavy!) hot water cylinder. I used the exact same layout and wiring arrangement that Naim used in the pukka 110 and the result was an amp that sounded exactly like the original, with all of the '110 magic' intact.

Mr Tibbs

Very witchy Gaius, is that active with Sbl's or Kans? I wish I was over across the pond to get a listen to them, but a bit afraid to take a chance on them at the moment. I would definately like to hear more about them! Tim

I have a pair of Malcolm's (misterc6) modded mono 110s. They replaced an olive 250 and I much prefer them. They are sort of lighter and more airy-can someone try to explain why the regulation affects the sound in laymans terms

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt....

DSCF0561.jpg

The 110 transformers are also used in the SNAPS, I'm not sure where these two matching 'Ann' transformers came from but I remember buying a couple from John R. The boards were the spares from converting two 110s to mono. Add two bridge rectifiers, four capacitors, two small modushop cases and a few sockets and you have another nice pair of very small monos that I believe are still in use with another member. Other transformers are available but it rare to find ones that match up to the original H & Fs.

Very witchy Gaius, is that active with Sbl's or Kans? I wish I was over across the pond to get a listen to them, but a bit afraid to take a chance on them at the moment. I would definately like to hear more about them! Tim

Hey Tim,

SBLs.

I do have an active Kan project in the works too; the Tangerine Pixie and I'm quite exited about that.

They are really very good those monos, you'll be hearing a lot over this year.

Where are you over the pond?

Regards,

Mark

Mark, I am in Indianapolis, Indiana. I ran active Sbl's for a few years as well as Kan2's. Still have the Kans, but back to passive at the moment.

So what is this Tangerine Pixie deal? Would certainly like to see and hear more on the Witches brew, especially some more pics. I do appreciate your pics too.

I certainly like the smaller form factor of the amps, anymore I am all about less clutter and huge gear, but still looking around at the alternatives for driving both my Obelisk2's and Larsen Model 4 speakers. Tim

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt....

DSCF0561.jpg

The 110 transformers are also used in the SNAPS, I'm not sure where these two matching 'Ann' transformers came from but I remember buying a couple from John R. The boards were the spares from converting two 110s to mono. Add two bridge rectifiers, four capacitors, two small modushop cases and a few sockets and you have another nice pair of very small monos that I believe are still in use with another member. Other transformers are available but it rare to find ones that match up to the original H & Fs.

Looks like I need to see if I can buy a couple of s/h Holden and Fisher transformers!

Out of interest the transformers we use in our amps are to a 300VA Holden and Fisher design.

I know I was blowing my own trumpet a little back there but we also do this sort of conversion work on 110's for people as well. They also sound especially good with Les's Minicap 4 power supply. Highly recommended.

i did a pair of 110's into my late issue briks before i sold them. i just discoonected a board in each one and stuck in a snaps and flashback. took 30 mins to do and less to reverse

was quite frighteningly loud

i dont know the 160

its so easy to set up

advertisement

Back