advertisement

[WTD] two cars up to £3500, one up to £5000

stony

pfm Member
Currently I need two cars :rolleyes: in range up to £3500.
My both kids are taking driving lessons.
One needs to be small engine but the other one not exactly as my boy is over 25 so insurance is more affordable.

But I consider an option to pass my smaller car to one of them and grab something for myself up to £5000.
It needs to be an estate car or big hatchback so my dogs can fit in it.

I'm not fussy about age.
Suffolk but I can drive to get the right one.

Last edited:
Good of you to help them out with motors Stony. The bloodletting never ends eh?

Currently I need two cars :rolleyes: in range up to £3500.
My both kids are taking driving lessons.
One needs to be small engine but the other one not exactly as my boy is over 25 so insurance is more affordable.

But I consider an option to pass my smaller car to one of them and grab something for myself up to £5000.
It needs to be an estate car or big hatchback so my dogs can fit in it.

I'm not fussy about age.
Suffolk but I can drive to get the right one.
I feel your pain, no one told me, I'd still be bailing them out at 72. :D

This may seem like a weird choice but mu daughter's first car ended up being a Seat Toledo. It's a big car but the insurance on them is very low. I reckon it's because the only people who buy them are taxi drivers and old people! Hers is a 1.2, tax is low, fuel economy is decent. All her friends are running around in tiny cars and she has this big saloon car with a huge boot but doesn't cost any more to run.

Just avoid an ex Taxi!

This may seem like a weird choice but mu daughter's first car ended up being a Seat Toledo. It's a big car but the insurance on them is very low. I reckon it's because the only people who buy them are taxi drivers and old people! Hers is a 1.2, tax is low, fuel economy is decent. All her friends are running around in tiny cars and she has this big saloon car with a huge boot but doesn't cost any more to run.

Just avoid an ex Taxi!
Thanks for the hint 👍

Thanks for the hint 👍
It's not a car I was even thinking of. My daughter was providing very hard to please. She wanted a car with a big boot but cheap and she was turning her nose up at ugly cars. It was doing my head in and eventually I went onto Auto Trader and searched by running costs and not by brands. It let me see just the cars that were low insurance, low tax ect and the Toledo was in there.

From experience ensure you do an online insurance quote before buying. I purchased my son a VW Up whilst he was learning to drive to be his first car. Group 2 insurance, new so safety kit etc, garaged, alarm and so on. When he passed his test a month later I couldn’t find insurance for less than £3500. Eventually purchased him an Alfa Romeo Mito Voloce with 170 BHP which was only £1400 to insure. A lot of the obvious first cars get crashed a lot and become expensive to insure, things like Sao’s, Fiestas, Corwas, mini’s.

Cars that don’t typically appeal to younger drivers fare well. Good luck

My mums Mini Cooper D clubman may be for sale , 10 months MOT , just has new engine manifold replaced Will be serviced next week don’t know if that’s of interest think it’s called an R54 or something technically 2010. £20 road tax. Maybe a bit on the high side for insurance for a new driver I would think

My mums Mini Cooper D clubman may be for sale , 10 months MOT , just has new engine manifold replaced Will be serviced next week don’t know if that’s of interest think it’s called an R54 or something technically 2010. £20 road tax. Maybe a bit on the high side for insurance for a new driver I would think
I will check insurance if you could PM me with reg plate numbers.

Cars that don’t typically appeal to younger drivers fare well. Good luck
Exactly. People think about engine size and the size of the car but insurance companies are a little more sophisticated than that. Avoid what the boy racers are buying as those care are hit hard.

@stony worth a look?

Skoda octavia estate 1.2 petrol manual 6 speed,

Price: £ 3,995

advertisement

Back