Do You Access/Use Twitter?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
Straight forward.

How many of us use Twitter?

Might be easier to find out how many do not use it?

motivated by looking at a new thread to find that it is mostly twitter links that I am unable to access.

note:
I have no interest in joining Twitter.

Straight forward.

How many of us use Twitter?

Might be easier to find out how many do not use it?

motivated by looking at a new thread to find that it is mostly twitter links that I am unable to access.

note:
I have no interest in joining Twitter.
You don’t have to join to follow the links. Twitter’s just a website, but one that many politicians, journalists, scientists etc. happen to use to post news, brief thoughts, links to articles and so on. It’s pretty useful.

I’ve had an account for ages, though I’ve never Tweeted anything and don’t follow anyone.

It’s excellent for breaking news... current affairs, sports events, and so on. I know I started looking at it around when it was the London riots, as I remember seeing dozens of Audiolab boxes and TVs being liberated from a shop as it happened, a few hours before a short clip made the News At Six.

Same for Instagram. It’s useful to have an account, but I don’t want / need to let everyone know where I am, what I’m doing...

With reading articles linked to on PFM I seem to have an account via Google but I have no real desire to contribute there.

Twitter’s just a website, but one that many politicians, journalists, scientists etc. happen to use to post news, brief thoughts, links to articles and so on. It’s pretty useful.

Politicians/Journalists/ the media - not exactly what I want to listen to everyday when I get enough of their output via TV, Radio etc.
Just from listening to BBC radio 4 one would think the whole world revolves around twitter.
It feels elitist.

I joined just to get around this but I don’t post or follow, just have the odd glance when prompted by learned colleagues.

‘Learned colleagues’

:)

They should have a badge so they can be easily identified.

Nope, not on Twitter/Insta/FB etc. Pink Fish is pretty much all I post on.
Ditto. Wild horses etc. etc. I never, ever follow Twitter links. How do I know who I’m being pointed towards, and what his/her agenda - or that of the pointer - might be? If someone feels strongly enough that I should feel a certain way, they can tell me in their own words rather than copy/paste or post a link.

I’ll add most of YouTube to that as well. Particularly those clips with thumbnails that use violently coloured shouty graphics and/or a shot of someone with an expression of mock horror.

Phew. That was cathartic.

Like most of the internet the secret is to focus mostly on the cats. I follow these guys.

3yjBLWs.png

I’m using Twitter increasingly more and find it pretty much essential to find out what is going on politically. I haven’t got to the stage of posting yet, but it is now my main news counterpoint to BBC, Sky etc as I can follow politicians, journalists and activists directly without having to suffer any editorial filter beyond my own preference. It also facilitates a far more global perspective and I’ve certainly learned huge amounts about American politics in the past six months or so. I still very much view myself as a newbie, but I spend hours a day digging stuff of interest up.

Obviously it is way more than politics, it is just as useful for science, art or pretty much anything as it is just a way of connecting directly to sources of interest without waiting for the BBC to make a documentary in three years time or whatever, e.g. if you are interested in say CERN follow them directly and keep up with events in real-time. It is an amazing resource.

PS I am obviously hoping Elon Musk fails in his take-over bid!

I don't have an account, but do look at Twitter; much of it is repetitious, worthless, inane... crap (IMO), but there's still some interesting, amusing etc. stuff to make it worth a look.

Also, increasingly, I've found that it can, potentially, be a better source of factual information (yes, really), news etc., particularly as MSM seems to become ever more useless (again, IMO).
It's also interesting, often shocking, to see the mindset of some those with differing (often diametrically opposed) views to your own (e.g, brexiteers, 'Back Boris' types, 'yoons' etc…), as well as politicians showing us who they really are etc.

The login wall is easily bypassed with a browser add-on.

Politicians/Journalists/ the media - not exactly what I want to listen to everyday when I get enough of their output via TV, Radio etc.
Just from listening to BBC radio 4 one would think the whole world revolves around twitter.
It feels elitist.
Ok but it’s self-exclusion, there’s nothing elitist about Twitter. If you’re getting enough public debate from older media there’s no real point following the threads you’re complaining about.

advertisement

Back