advertisement

TV Soundbars

richardg

Admonishtrator
I've just bought a £100 Toshiba soundbar for my new Panasonic TV, as the TV speakers are quite poor, worse than on the Panasonic it replaced actually.

It really sucks balls and I can't recommend it less. The most important part, the voice, is not clear enough, the woofer is of course a bit loose, you can't control the volume from the TV remote, it doesn't seem to have bass or treble control and it gets in the way of the remote signal, making it harder to change channels.

Pff.

wow, 600 quid....I'd rather invest spend that on a used Nait and an old pair of Kahns and stick the telly through that.

This one is going back to Curry's tomorrow. It's a joke. It won't play HD channels or internet channels, or if it will it needs to have more buttons pressed that I don't know about. I think a soundbar should completely integrate with the TV. I wonder if the Panasonic soundbars do this?

Soundbars are no different to anything else-you get what you pay for,in saying that imho the best "Budget" soundbar is the LG,it sells between £180-£250,and is quite large which helps the projection of sound,the sub is wireless leaving just the optical lead to connect to the tv-Job done!!!!

Hi Rich,
I would always control the volume with the remote provided,the tv remote just switches the source input.

Ok, thanks for that advice. I think I'll dust down my Bose AM5 set up and get some stands for the cubes. It sounds about three hundred thousand million times better than this soundbar and isn't really any less convenient.

In the lounge I have the YSP-2200 award winning yamaha soundbar.
It acquired all sorts of accolades even at the lofty 800 quid price point.

You know what? It's okay, but it still struggles in a big room.

The TV in the music room is hooked into the speakers and has far more power and atmosphere.

I've heard a few of these soundbars now, and they have their limits.

I recently auditioned the Sonos soundbar and Yamaha 2200. To put this in context, I have a Sonos wireless system and a broken Yamaha 1000 soundbar. Neither impressed especially the Yamaha. I went home and connected a pair of pro active monitors which were far superior and a quarter of the price. Ok, they don't do surround sound but then neither did the Sonos or the Yamaha.

They are what they are, the ones I have heard sound quite digital and clearly very compressed. At the end of the day they are trying to play tricks and ultimately you won't be fooled.

What ever happened to those devices with like 100 harmon kardon speakers all laid out?

I second the idea of using active speakers, any half decent pair on stands will do a lot more for your ears than top tier soundbars! Of course if Her Interiordecorness doesn't allow it your best bet is probably the Sonos (but it still seems a bloody waist of money!)

The only ones I have heard that sound any good are made by Polk audio, they appear to do active and passive ones with a wireless sub.
I haven't heard the Sonos thing, but it seems like a good idea if you already have a Sonos system.

advertisement

Back